• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

Joe Smith quits 3DHS!

gyro

GSN Contributor
Tell it to UPS

well, actually, EF chooses UPS, not me. Fedex offers deep discounts to corporate customers. Maybe that's the difference....?

Then again, 3DHS also uses UPS Ground. So it must be the boxing? Maybe EF needs to get more creative with their packaging inside the box so they can get the exterior dimensions smaller.

3dbandit

100cc
I have just read this thread through and wanted to add something on the earlier PAU discussion.

I have never heard of them holding parts from new customers. Also, up until recently the business was based out of Hawaii and run in the mainland; not easy logistics, especially when trying to bring planes to events. Now they are based out of Orlando and I do not think this should be an issue anymore.

As for customer service practices, that is the main reason I choose to buy one of their planes. I, and many of the guys I fly with, have called the number on their website and spoken with Herve on the first call or received a call back in a few minutes.
-----------------------------------------

EF Shipping- IMHO: that price is tooooooo high. they could probably use lighter or smaller boxes. The way I've seen those guys stuff planes into trailers, they can easily redesign their boxes.

Joe, best of luck to you with all your future endeavors

Aeroplayin

70cc twin V2
I won't debate the performance of an EF airframe, they're among the best...

But I don't think it should cost double to ship a 74" or 76" or 78" or whatever versus a 71" Slick. Sorry... that's my opinion and I'm entitled to it :)

I don't see the difference between the 3DHS and the EF planes I know shipping costs for. The combined costs are pretty much the same for the popular brands, if you work it by adding the cost of the plane and the cost of shipping and dividing that by the weight of the plane after assembly. Here are the prices I know of delivered to the Tampa Bay area, and some go back a little more than 12 months. I know that 3DHS and EF like to clear out inventory, and I've seen deals on green MXS's, which were probably not popular, the 68 Velox before they went to 70 inches, the Vyper, but besides these fee 'deals', it's all pretty much the same when you look at the final product sizes.

10 lb 70 Extra EXP: $389.95 + $64.83 = $454.78 = $45.48 per lb
10.3 lb 71 Slick: $439.99 + $38.82 = $478.81 = $46.49/lb
10.8 lb 74 Edge: $439.99 + $45.21 = $485.20 = $44.93/lb
12.6 lb 78 Extra: $449.49 + $126.99 = $576.48 = $45.90/lb
14.0 lb 83 MXS: $479.95 + $160.00 = $639.95 = $45.71/lb

3DHS is $45.71 and EF is $45.70... and each are a bargain, IMO, compared to the other brands that come to my door at any price.

There are other brands that also have low standard shipping rates, but when you consider that you would have to buy things like CF landing gear, and other items you would expect at that model price, it gets really expensive. There are other products that can get here fairly inexpensively, and come with nice bling packages included, but I pay tax on them in Florida, and I'm not as crazy about the way they fly as EF and 3DHS anyway.

3dRCparts.com

70cc twin V2
This shipping subject comes up......what once a month?
I do know EF charges actual cost to ship, I have research this extensively, and as a business owner, I know the cost of shipping has and is going up.

Other companies "absorb" shipping cost into the product, but they are smarter, because they seem like they can do something the others can't.

I think it is a marketing trend right now that people want and expect free shipping (it is never really free, it is just average costed into the product) and that is what EF should do, just mark up the MXS to 624.99 with free shipping and they would probably sell more, and even better this discussion would stop

Ohio AV8TOR

Just Do It
Doesn't matter to me what the cost is. I'll gladly pay extra to fly the absolute best airframes in their class!!!

Until I am on fixed income this is exactly my point of view. The rest of my feelings I will keep to myself.

Last edited by a moderator: