• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

Joe Smith quits 3DHS!

YellowJacketsRC

70cc twin V2
AP, I am sure you are correct concerning the reduction in drag in high alpha. But the long and short of it is that the only thing these shark tooth VGs will do in a practical sense is to give slightly more control authority in high alpha

Last edited by a moderator:

Aeroplayin

70cc twin V2
Well, 'slightly more control authority in high alpha' is the result of what they do... they extend the AoA where the break from laminar to turbulent flow occurs. As long as there is laminar flow, air gets to the control surfaces. When separation occurs, turbulence begins, and along with turbulence comes drag and aileron control departure.

In most 3D maneuvers, we hope for a laminar flow until the airspeed gets to the point where only vectored thrust from the propeller influences lift and control because wings going from laminar to turbulent flow creates and perpetuates wing rock.

This is all about trade offs in design. A thinner wing reduces drag at zero AoA but promotes turbulence quicker in lower angles. A thicker wing promotes more stability in higher alphas, but increase the drag coefficient at zero AoA. So the band aids for thinner airfoils are VGs.

Winglets on the wing tips of the MXS in the Red Bull Air Races counter the vortex, and turbulence it creates, when air spills from the high pressure on the bottom of the wing tip to the top of the wingtip where the pressure is lower. That combines with the laminar flowing air and creates a vortices. The winglet blocks the air from spilling over the tip, reduces the vortex, and reduces the drag at the wingtip. This will not only decrease drag, but also increase the efficiency of the outboard section of the aileron and increase the roll rate.

Last edited by a moderator:

vegasking

70cc twin V2
I was partially right, he may not be sponsored by them, he is at least flying one!

Joe and PAU.jpg

3dmike

640cc Uber Pimp
PAU has some really great airframes for sure. I saw a 40%'r hit the dirt nose first (potential new customer trying it out) from 10-15 ft... prop done, cowl damaged, motor box damaged.... fixed at the field in 3 hours and back flying again. The fuse had no damage! I was sooooo surprised at the hit it took and yet 3 hours of work and it's back up in the air.

PAU needs to build relationships beyond it's current customers. They tend to hold parts only for the original owners and hold back selling to second hand owners. Not good in my opinion but it's their decision.

AKfreak

150cc
PAU has some really great airframes for sure. I saw a 40%'r hit the dirt nose first (potential new customer trying it out) from 10-15 ft... prop done, cowl damaged, motor box damaged.... fixed at the field in 3 hours and back flying again. The fuse had no damage! I was sooooo surprised at the hit it took and yet 3 hours of work and it's back up in the air.

PAU needs to build relationships beyond it's current customers. They tend to hold parts only for the original owners and hold back selling to second hand owners. Not good in my opinion but it's their decision.

I noticed some clickish behavior as well, and when trying to ask about any opportunity to save on shipping, all I got was some smart alec remarks. I was interested (and had the money) for a 35% Edge 540. I thought since PAU sponsors people to go to Joe Nall to cover the event, that they might be able to bring some models and I could get free shipping. NOPE! I was told, "I will offer free shipping when UPS and Fed EX does" or somthing to that effect.

That really stuck in my craw, when I just know people have bought PAU planes and paid no shipping at some events. Since I was not a previous customer and not known, I know he just didn't want to even deal with me. No biggie I am over it.

YellowJacketsRC

70cc twin V2
I noticed some clickish behavior as well, and when trying to ask about any opportunity to save on shipping, all I got was some smart alec remarks. I was interested (and had the money) for a 35% Edge 540. I thought since PAU sponsors people to go to Joe Nall to cover the event, that they might be able to bring some models and I could get free shipping. NOPE! I was told, "I will offer free shipping when UPS and Fed EX does" or somthing to that effect.

That really stuck in my craw, when I just know people have bought PAU planes and paid no shipping at some events. Since I was not a previous customer and not known, I know he just didn't want to even deal with me. No biggie I am over it.

Next time you got money burring a hole in your pocket give Chris Hinson from Extreme Flight a call. He will fall over himself to help you out! Ask me how I know ;)

Only the 35cc planes are out of line with other vendors. 50cc shipping is typically $100 or more with other vendors and it is $125 for me to get anything from them via freight.

3DHS is flat rate $150 to a commercial address last time I checked.

I won't delve in a public forum too much on my view of PAU, let's just say there is a reason I have not owned any of their planes.

AKfreak

150cc
Next time you got money burring a hole in your pocket give Chris Hinson from Extreme Flight a call. He will fall over himself to help you out! Ask me how I know ;)

I just gave Chris the better part of $700 for my latest plane. He would get much more if we could find a creative way to ship for much less or bring more stock to shows.