• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Sport JTEC RADIOWAVE 26% Pitts Model 12

Wacobipe

100cc
Fantastic progress @stangflyer ...and no more excuses that you're not really a builder....you are showing some exceptionally high quality skills! It's like riding a bike...you may not have done it in years....but t comes right back!

Also...tell me you won't have a massive grin on your face the first time this goes to the field that no ARF could ever deliver!

Last edited:

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Fantastic progress @stangflyer ...and needs more excuses that you're not really a builder....you are showing some exceptionally high quality skills! It's like riding a bike...you may not have done it in years....but t comes right back!

Also...tell me you won't have a massive grin on your face the first time this goes to the field that no ARF could ever deliver!
Thanks Brett. I really am enjoying this build. Just a couple of things that just don't seem right. But I am working through them. It makes a guy stop and think things through. Not like the die cut kits from back in the eons. Those were just way too easy. LOL

And you're so right. To actually take a few precut pieces and make a truly fine flying model. I think that is what has me so "glued" (pun intended) to this build. :)

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
A little more work on the canopy before I call it a night. I looked at a "LOT" of planes on 2wings.com tonight to get an idea of the canopy/hatch area. I may need to adjust the radius and the overall length, but I think the arc is pretty close.
Pitts referrence.jpg
20161026_002530.jpg
20161026_002632.jpg

jtec/radiowave

70cc twin V2
Rob,

If I am understanding you correctly the sheeting only goes to the top of the 1/2" longeron ( sits on top ) and then the longeron is sanded to shape to match the sheeting. The sheeting does not go over the longeron.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Well it coming along great really like the work. Watching you build this planes brings back memories of years gone by when building was the only way and we improved and changed things to our needs and fancy. Must admit that the plane always picked up a little weight but it was all worth it because we could fly them hard and for many years. The only thing is when done I had put in so much work and always end up saying that I should have built a bigger one because it the same amount of work. Anyway love the plane you are doing a great job and. I an very interested in seeing how you are going connect your wings together and fuse to see how easy it will be at the field.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Rob,

If I am understanding you correctly the sheeting only goes to the top of the 1/2" longeron ( sits on top ) and then the longeron is sanded to shape to match the sheeting. The sheeting does not go over the longeron.
Actually what I was referring to and did not make real clear, (I am sorry I didn't explain myself better) is the F1, F2 and F3 formers at the top where the balsa longeron is glued under the laser cut lite ply longeron. According to the manual which maybe I misunderstood, it calls for 1/4" x 1/4" balsa to be glued underneath. But as you can see in the photos I have attached, there is a gap that when the fuse side sheeting is laid into place, there will be a point in which there is no contact with any structure. And to get perfect alignment with the top hatch, it may need to be in place when sheeting the fuse. Have I done something incorrect here? My resolution is to add a stringer from the front of F1 that will go the length past F3, then sanded and "feathered" in to match the shape of the rest of the fuse so that the fuse sheeting will have more "meat" to attach to. Hope this makes sense and is a better explanation.
20161026_105607.jpg
20161026_105641.jpg

Well it coming along great really like the work. Watching you build this planes brings back memories of years gone by when building was the only way and we improved and changed things to our needs and fancy. Must admit that the plane always picked up a little weight but it was all worth it because we could fly them hard and for many years. The only thing is when done I had put in so much work and always end up saying that I should have built a bigger one because it the same amount of work. Anyway love the plane you are doing a great job and. I an very interested in seeing how you are going connect your wings together and fuse to see how easy it will be at the field.
Yes, I do also remember those days. We "did" have a way of making those planes "our" own style huh? LOL. And oh my, the weight they gained. I remember a Top Flite Red Box P-40 I built my first year of flying. (That was the same month and year my youngest baby girl was born) I wanted it to be as perfect and as scale as I could make it. Considering how the plane was built and the options available, I could not use the folding back retracts as on the full scale. I had to use a set of retracts that would be more suited for a "Stang". And actually, and interestingly and amazingly enough....they worked very well. I didn't have to deal with CG difference issues when the gear was down as opposed to up and locked. I also chose to cut the full strip ailerons, (which I am sure you remember from those days was heavy dense balsa...ugh) and added flaps. I can't remember if it called for fully sheeted wings and tail feathers, but they got the full treatment. I ran an O.S. .70 four stroke on the plane. All up weight...Yikes.....OMG, as I remember...it was every bit of 12 pounds. But fly???? Oh my heck, it flew very well. Quite quick too. It would flat scoot along. Landings were a bit of a "learned art" to say the least. But after the first attempt I quickly learned the technic of landing a heavy warbird. As I brought it around for the second attempt, dialed in some flaps and kept the speed up and what do you know? She came in, set right down pretty as you please. One terrifying event I had with the plane was the day I sheared the right wing tip clean off the wing. Also heavy dense balsa that was glued on, sanded and shaped to match the wing. I came in "HOT" behind a guy that was flying a rubber banded wing trainer. I told my son @Shayne Epley was only 9 at the time, "Watch this, I am going to shoot me down a boggie". LOL. I banked hard left but a bit too late. Wouldn't you know it? I cleaned his wing right off that trainer and the right "heavy" dense balsa wing tip of the P-40. Of course his trainer went straight down like a missle while his wing was just "flooooaaaatinggggg" along in open air. LMAO....oh damn! Of course the P-40 went violently out of control and headed for the ground. I don't know how, but I gathered it up and mashed the gas. Holding "HARD" right aileron to keep the wings level I lined up with the runway....dialed in some flaps to keep the plane stable and kept a bunch of speed goin' on. When she sat down on the runway, brother you couldn't put a piece of paper between the wheels and the runway. It was just an "A+" perfect glass smooth touch down. Of course I accepted my guilt and made it right with the gent with his trainer. He laughed his butt off cuz he never thought his trainer was going into active combat and would be shot down by an "American" fighter. LOL.... But moral of this little tell, We do indeed make them our own and it is like a signature we put on these stick built planes. I love my H-9 Sukhoi (Madeline) and my big Pilot Yak. I adore my SD 260 (Jennifer), but once again as so many years ago I am rediscovering the total love affair I am regaining with this Pitts. I really am trying to do it right and at least somewhat scale. I am also really trying hard to "NOT" add too much extra weight. I want to be as proud of this Pitts as I was my P-40 from so many years ago.

Thank you @Snoopy1 for your compliment. And thank you also for bringing back a wonderfully fond memory of so many years ago.