• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Sport JTEC RADIOWAVE 26% Pitts Model 12

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Monokote trim solvent works great on the edges for Ultra over Ultra. As for the bubbles, I've discovered a little technique. After your base coat is on, and sealed down "REALLY" well with about 225 degrees heat. (Shrinking the base layer with heat gun at this point) Turn down the iron to about 125 to 150 degrees and use your heat gun to shrink your base coat while ironing the base to insure it is down! Allow your iron to cool to no more than 150 degrees. Just enough to warm the adhesive. Start in the center of your trim (top) coat and work to the edges. Once the trim is down good, your iron heat can be increased to seal your trim so it won't come off. The air bubbles that are created when laying Ultra over Ultra are the gasses that are released due to heat activating the glue. If the trim is sealed really well before the final heat is applied, the gas vapors can not create bubbles. Perhaps others may have their own technique, this is what works for me.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Monokote trim solvent works great on the edges for Ultra over Ultra. As for the bubbles, I've discovered a little technique. After your base coat is on, and sealed down "REALLY" well with about 225 degrees heat. (Shrinking the base layer with heat gun at this point) Turn down the iron to about 125 to 150 degrees and use your heat gun to shrink your base coat while ironing the base to insure it is down! Allow your iron to cool to no more than 150 degrees. Just enough to warm the adhesive. Start in the center of your trim (top) coat and work to the edges. Once the trim is down good, your iron heat can be increased to seal your trim so it won't come off. The air bubbles that are created when laying Ultra over Ultra are the gasses that are released due to heat activating the glue. If the trim is sealed really well before the final heat is applied, the gas vapors can not create bubbles. Perhaps others may have their own technique, this is what works for me.

Thanks for that will try that later today or tomorrow. Really appreciate you taking the time to write it out.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
So today because it is "STILL" snowing. Like we haven't got enough as it is.
impatient-smiley-emoticon.gif
Oh well, guess covering is the call of the day huh? I got started with the center section of the top wing and have to admit, about the "EASIEST" part on this plane to cover. LOL. It does look nice though. I will be adding the Purple trim once the outer wing panels are covered. But of course, I have to wait for my covering to arrive. Needless to say, it is probably somewhere between here and California..."STUCK" in a snow drift on a FedEx truck. LOL.

20170104_141224.jpg
20170104_152006.jpg

I decided to get an overall appearance of the Pitts partially assembled with the Flame Red added. I am "REALLY" liking this. I have obviously decided to go the red top wing configuration. There is no turning back now.

20170104_144840.jpg
20170104_144912.jpg
20170104_144929.jpg
20170104_144957.jpg
20170104_151759.jpg
20170104_151806.jpg

I have another question for you guys. I kind of feel this is as much you guys' build thread as it is my own. You all have been so kind and informative and devoted in following along. Offer suggestions, advice and input. Not to mention the little "nudge" to keep me going when I got so frustrated I almost took my 48" aluminum straight edge and sliced the thing in half. So the question. I am wanting to put the same style of trim on the tops of both upper and lower wings to match the fin/rudder and the stabs/elevators. What do you guys think? Should I go that route or go with the scheme as it is on the full scale? I think it would look totally bad ass with the matching scheme.

Once my covering is completely done, I will start installing wiring harnesses and components. Someone asked back earlier in the thread about field assembly. I really think this is going to be very quick and easy. The top center section will not be removed. The harnesses for the top wing servos will come up the struts and plug into each individual wing panel. The same with the bottom. I expect an extra 5 minutes assembly at the field.

I honestly keep getting more and more excited to fly this girl. If this snow keeps up, I am putting skies on it. LOL.
happy-nodding-smiley-face-emoticon.gif

WMcNabb

150cc
So the question. I am wanting to put the same style of trim on the tops of both upper and lower wings to match the fin/rudder and the stabs/elevators. What do you guys think? Should I go that route or go with the scheme as it is on the full scale? I think it would look totally bad ass with the matching scheme.

Since you asked...I think you should go with the full scale scheme. The red top wing looks awesome so far, and would look great with the dark, or purple, trim in this case. Of course the lower wing needs the purple trim also.