• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Krill 39% Ultimate 300KS Assembly And Paint

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
I really appreciate you doing this build thread, it is good to know how a fibreglass plane is assembled. And in the future I will have no problem buying one.
Just my personal observations on the two main Composite companies Krill and Composite ARF (Carf). Carf airplanes look a little better. They remove the seam on the top of the fuselage. The skin of the Krill seems to be a little tougher, and more dent resistant. Krill doesn't normally have a split cowl. Sometimes the top of the cowl comes off, but it leaves the spinner ring. Krill has also had stab incidence problems in the past. Krill has a better selection of paint schemes, but you may need to wait forever to get the scheme you want from either company.
All that being said, nothing looks nicer than a painted composite airplane. NO WRINKLES!

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Thanks for the info yes I like that no wrinkles. I like painted aeroplanes anyway. All my have been painted until I got into 3D, and I do miss it, much easier to maintain.

acerc

640cc Uber Pimp
Thanks for the info yes I like that no wrinkles. I like painted aeroplanes anyway. All my have been painted until I got into 3D, and I do miss it, much easier to maintain.
Your kidding right? Thirty minutes or so to iron out a wrinkle versus two to four hours to wash, polish, and wax. Well, at least on models with fabric, tape, and the such. I don't know about those that come out of a mold ready to go or like the glass smooth finish jetpainter will do.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Your kidding right? Thirty minutes or so to iron out a wrinkle versus two to four hours to wash, polish, and wax. Well, at least on models with fabric, tape, and the such. I don't know about those that come out of a mold ready to go or like the glass smooth finish jetpainter will do.

All the my planes that are done with fabric and the full Stits system. I wax them twice a year in the spring and fall. And at the field just wipe them down with a soap solution I make up. Never wrinkle, corners never lift do not have worry about any striping lifting at the ends, wipe it down and looks as good as it did 10 years ago when it got painted.

acerc

640cc Uber Pimp
Now you should of known that was sarcasm. Yea, thirty minutes every time an ARF goes to the field to iron it back out. Or once a year to give the Stits a good cleaning. About the only thing I wipe down through the year is the prop and leading edge of the wings, they get dirtier with dust. Unless it is love bug season that's a different story.