• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Discussion Long term planning: Getting into gas

SnowDog

I am breaking in a mentor 38 right now and it seems to be running pretty nice.

Josh, I'm eager to hear about your experience with that motor...I'm planning to get a Mintor 33 for my 71" Slick...not much more than the DLE-30 and runs much better from what I've heard so far.

I'm budgeting somewhere between $1000-$1500, probably closer to $1500 for this and I don't see any way I can get away with it cheaper if I went electric. At least not if I want to run quality components. I don't have the kind of batteries this type of plane takes, and that alone is a $300-500 investment.

I've already cleared it with the boss (my wife). Now I'm just hoping for a good bonus and/or tax refund and I'll have this in the air next spring (or winter if it's a mild one).
My Plan is looking about $1500. OS GT33 with 7955s all around. I'm still undecided on 72" vs 74" though.

Cmala

70cc twin V2
The mintor engines are cheaper than the OS and I've only heard good things about them as well.

I own a 68 Velox on a Mintor 22, a 71 Slick on a Mintor 38, and a 89 Slick on a DA60 with RE2. I just went though helping out a buddy get his stuff for his first gasser, which will be a 30cc Aeroworks Extra 260 Freestyle. He asked around a lot within the club and most of us tried to steer him towards a 50cc. The reason he went with a 30cc is transportation which is a very valid reason.

IF you have a eye to the future and get higher torque servos like HS-7955/7954 or similar (Futaba BLS157 ROCK), then you are mainly out the difference in airframe cost. A DLE-55 is really not that much more than a 35R and can be had cheaper than the OS GT33.

My 30cc airframes cost about $1200-$1500 and my first gasser, a 88" EG Raven was somewhere around $1700 with a DLE-55 and 7954s. I sold the motor, still have the servos and gear, and my next gasser is going to be a 88" EF Edge I think. The 30cc birds are great in the fact they fit into the back of the truck and the 89 Slick does not, and I will be flying them into the winter months, while the 89 hibernates.

Another point is that if you do invest in the higher end servos, they can be used in a future 100cc model, while 30cc servos pretty much stay in 30cc models.

At my club we are having big noise issues if that is a factor, engine choices become more complicate. My Mintor 38 is probably going to have to find a new airframe due it's silly stock header which make no canister on the market fit into a 71 Slick. The OS is reported to have a good noise footprint on it's stock muffler, while all the DLEs are going to require canisters.

njswede

150cc
The reason I'm thinking 30CC is more a transportation issue than a cost issue. A 71" Slick, for example, I can probably find a way to get into my car, for those weekends my wife insists she needs the family SUV. A 50CC plane, no so much...

Noise it not that much of an issue at any of my two clubs, as long as I fly between 10AM and 4PM.

The mintor engines are cheaper than the OS and I've only heard good things about them as well.

My 38 is a absolute beast. It turns a Mejzlik 20x7 at 7600 RPM. We are looking at putting in a Bowman ring, which will just make it have even more compression. It is also VERY loud. 100+db. The second motor that ended up with my buddy has no compression (stuck ring) and needs to be sent back. I am sure TDA will take care of it, but it did result in a dead stick that bent some gear.

The M22 has been a mixed bag. My buddy and I got to be beta testers with a 68 Velox airframe I got from SteveT. It had to go back to get updates and only recently have I found a prop combo that gets performance better than a DLE-20. The service from Top Dawg has been great however. Don't bother to use the choke, just use a glow starter.

They sure are pretty motors, and very well engineered. The choke setup is not well liked on them, but I actually don't mind it now that I have gotten used to it on the 38.

Bottom line is that I really like the 38 outside of the noise issue and I would pick it again in something like a EF 78" Extra where I can actually fit a canister or pipe into the stock tunnel with the silly long header you have to use. Now for the 60 size, I'll pay the extra for the DA.

Last edited by a moderator:
The reason I'm thinking 30CC is more a transportation issue than a cost issue. A 71" Slick, for example, I can probably find a way to get into my car, for those weekends my wife insists she needs the family SUV. A 50CC plane, no so much...

Noise it not that much of an issue at any of my two clubs, as long as I fly between 10AM and 4PM.

I've fit my 71 Slick into my Mercury Milan with the front seat down. The Velox will fit in the backseat with no issue. With my noise issues I am leaning towards re-motoring the 71 with the OS GT33. On another forum 92db was reported with a wood prop in the 20x6 range. With a carbon I hope 90 is achieved which is 1/3 the sound of the 96db limit. Also the DLE-30 canister apparently will fit on it if the stock setup is not quiet enough.

hosam

70cc twin V2
I am currently running a Mintor 38 on my 74 edge and love it. One thing for sure, the first gallon of fuel you need to fly it easy but once broken in, look out... I am running a 20x8 Falcon right now (break in prop) and the power is unbelievable and it is rich. Mike (Bivens) flew mine at the Huckfest and liked it, not sure if he liked it over his OS33 or not, hope he chimes in here...

Tune that sucker. You're not doing it any favors running it rich. I did have a Mintor 110 very briefly. Lots of compression and made awesome power. I can't speak for how they hold up in the long run as I turned it back in to my sponsor after my plane locked out and was destroyed.