• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Discussion Long term planning: Getting into gas

Tune it anyway. Factory tune is only so you can start it. Factory settings go out the window as soon as it leaves their building. Always tune a gas engine for peak performance and throttle transition. Even running it just a tad rich doesn't help anything but to build carbon. Tuning it correctly from the first run will help prevent stuck rings, carbon build up, fouled plugs and premature wear. Your plane will love you for it too. =)

gyro

GSN Contributor
Tune it anyway. Factory tune is only so you can start it. Factory settings go out the window as soon as it leaves their building. Always tune a gas engine for peak performance and throttle transition. Even running it just a tad rich doesn't help anything but to build carbon. Tuning it correctly from the first run will help prevent stuck rings, carbon build up, fouled plugs and premature wear. Your plane will love you for it too. =)

I heard that altitude makes a difference also... could the factory have been at a different altitude? -G

3dNater

3DRCF Regional Ambassador
Any change in air pressure can affect your tune. So temperature can play a part as well as altitude and whatever the weather is like. It isn't as sensitive IMO as glow engines but you might gain some mileage tuning for winter vs. summer flying and if you move to a different altitude you definitely need to tune. Also tune every time you change to a different size/pitch prop.

lugnutz

30cc
njswede the 71,72,and or the 74 is a great starter with a dle30,like kerwin said get the frank bowman ring right from the start it greatly inproves the power of the 30,
also you be able to get a great setup for about $1000.00 ,servos and wether you want to run 2 or 1 battery,i personally use a li-on setup for rx and a 2/3's a ni-mh for ignition,less connections on the plane.this size is also easy to work on,i have a 71" slick and a 72"extra with dle30's and they fly great with no problems
any questions just ask

njswede

150cc
Custom piston ring? Really? It makes that much of a difference? Better compression, or something else?

njswede

150cc
Anyone out there who can help me with a parts list for getting into gassers? Anything from regulators and power distribution stuff to gas cans and pumps!