• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Discussion Long term planning: Getting into gas

Get a IBEC straight from Tech Aero. Plus you can pick your LED color

http://www.tech-aero.net/ultra-ibec

Gyro, I do have a nice Kavan starter on 4S lipo I use with my Mintor 22 (It is just easier than the silly choke on it). I rather hand start it as the starter eventually messes up the spinner even with the soft insert. It is just that the OS has a ton of compression like a glow motor. Jim Smith says that you just need to find the proper throttle spot to get consistent forward starts.

Moose, nice find on the fuel tanks. I'll have to order some with Viton.

I went straight from a 48" edge to 71" gas slick and i couldnt be happier.... there is a learning curve to getting the engine tuned right but i think its an easier curve than tuning glow engines.

The flight times of gas are tremendous and economical to the wallet in the fun per buck category.

buy loctite and thin CA and then use them.... loctite all engine bolts and servo arm screws (metal to metal only) CA verything you can like canopy and wing locating pins etc.

My best advice would be to have a preflight checklist and make sure you follow it every time you head to the field.

IMO there really is nothing better than heading to the field with a gallon of premix , a small LiFe battery charger, Plane and Tx then flying all day!

Last edited by a moderator:

njswede

150cc
I think my short list is down to ether a 70" Velox or a 71" Slick.

Slick Pros:
It's an AJ Slick, stupid!!!

Slick cons:
A bit harder to fit in my car.
Needs a 30cc and slightly more expensive servos.

Velox pros:
A bit easier to transport in my car.
Runs on a 20cc and slightly cheaper servos.
Looks awesome!

Velox cons:
It's not an AJ Slick...

Thoughs?

gyro

GSN Contributor
I think my short list is down to ether a 70" Velox or a 71" Slick.

Slick Pros:
It's an AJ Slick, stupid!!!

Slick cons:
A bit harder to fit in my car.
Needs a 30cc and slightly more expensive servos.

Velox pros:
A bit easier to transport in my car.
Runs on a 20cc and slightly cheaper servos.
Looks awesome!

Velox cons:
It's not an AJ Slick...

Thoughs?

I think you'll be fine with the Slick. The Velox (if it's anything like the 48") can be a handful at times, and the Slick feels so incredibly stable and capable. The price difference between the 20cc and 30cc motor is minimal, and by the numbers, the 20cc will not provide the 2 to 1 thrust ratio you're used to from your electric airplanes. I decided to go electric on my 70" Velox.

Anyway, the also use the same servos, and I found that the Solar D771s at $17.50 a pop are an excellent bargain for the money.

-G

njswede

150cc
I think you'll be fine with the Slick. The Velox (if it's anything like the 48") can be a handful at times, and the Slick feels so incredibly stable and capable. The price difference between the 20cc and 30cc motor is minimal, and by the numbers, the 20cc will not provide the 2 to 1 thrust ratio you're used to from your electric airplanes. I decided to go electric on my 70" Velox.

Anyway, the also use the same servos, and I found that the Solar D771s at $17.50 a pop are an excellent bargain for the money.

-G

Really? Solar? I was pretty excited about them until I read some horror stories of bad solders and boards not being anchored and just floating around inside the case. If that's true (again, I read it on a forum, so who knows?) I'm not sure how that would work with all the vibrations of a gasser...

gyro

GSN Contributor
Really? Solar? I was pretty excited about them until I read some horror stories of bad solders and boards not being anchored and just floating around inside the case. If that's true (again, I read it on a forum, so who knows?) I'm not sure how that would work with all the vibrations of a gasser...

Well then... you can sure bet I'll be opening all the ones I have for inspection now...

SnowDog

-G

Well then... you can sure bet I'll be opening all the ones I have for inspection now...

Let me know! If those servos are OK, that would mean some major savings on a 71"!

Gary, let us know what you find when you open yours up.
I've got D771's for my 71" Slick; I don't know if I want to open them up or not, but I am hoping they are a good value...I've heard mostly good things online about them?

I have both the Velox and the Slick in this size. I love the GT33 in the Slick, but the plane feels heavy on the gas setup. One of the local sponsored pilots had one on a DLE-30 and told me basically the same thing. The Slick is happier at 10.5lbs in my electric one (RIP) rather than the 11.5lbs the gasser is as at currently. I am going to put In a smaller gas tank to get closer to 11.

The Velox at 9lbs on the Mintor 22 is very light. It will fly over 20 minutes on 8oz of fuel. It only has 1.6:1 thrust to weight though so it will pull out a hover, but not with authority like the Slick.

They are both great choices, but I have more fun with the Velox. The electric Slick flew the best, but I am not sure you can get a gasser Slick light enough.