• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

3D MX2 or G202

reyn3545;19819 wrote:

If you flying style is slower, 3-D type of flying, would the swept back Giles design make it more apt to stall or wing rock? I'm just a circle flyer, so I don't know first hand.
Not sure. That's why I was seeking the input. If enough guys with G202 experience have good comments I will probably do 2 sets of wings. One each.

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
I've not personally experimented with the swept back Giles style wing, but I did do some research on it when I did my MXS scratch build(s). The majority of what I understood is that It does have a higher stall speed and the swept LE would lend itself to wing rock in 3D. The only other drawback Is how to design in modern sized ailerons for good 3D performance.

With that said it should also gain significant increase in precision flying characteristics (compare Giles wing with most any pattern plane as an example). This would make it a great IMAC and scale aerobatics wing.

That's kinda where I got the idea for interchangeable wings. One advantage is the size plane you are working on as wing area will be your friend and you could give the Giles wing a larger tip chord. Another thing is with foam wings is progressive airfoil. You could have a smooth airfoil like NACA6312A at the root (wide CG range, pressure point further back) and at the tip is easy more basic naca airfoil with a pressure point more forward and a slower stall speed. This should give you a larger window before wing rick starts with the Giles wing.

That's just my garage scientist thoughts so I'll be curious to see what you end up with.

3D-Joy

50cc
Yeah the G202 is very cool and different from the typical Extra you see all the time.

It unfortunately presents very poorly in the air due to the swept back wings that we are not used to see. For an IMAC plane its a huge disadvantage because the plane always appears like its not really level... To some extent the Edge presents wierdly too but not quite as bad as the Giles.

3D-wise they are also supposed to be less stable in harrier, but thats just hear-say from me.

But like the Cap232 which everybody hated until they saw a light version of it, I'm sure a Giles can fly more than decent if built right and be quite a show stopper.

Good luck with your project.

Patto

70cc twin V2
Subscribed.

I had a Wild Hare G202 that I regret ever selling. Totally solid in harrier, hover, everything. In the FS world, it is an unlimited, light, agile airplane that can do it all.

In the US, it's not very common, but in Europe, the G202 is a big deal in the FS world. I also like the MX's. I say build both wings...

Patto

70cc twin V2
My dad actually owned the prototype G300 before selling it to a husband/wife team that worked for NASA. Tragically, she perished in what was believed to be caused by a health problem in flight.

The fuselage design went on to be used for the MX line, according to my dad.

When I had my R/C G202, I always liked having a plane that no one else had. Folks couldn't believe how solid it was in a harrier and hover. It drew smooth lines in IMAC, (despite my efforts) and was a really solid performer. I think a few bad R/C designs kind of ruined it for us in the R/C world. The early designs that were mass-distributed were heavy and had a bad tip-stall tendency. It's actually not inherent in the wing design. In fact, the opposite sweep, such as in an Edge, is no more stable. It all depends on the individual design. I've flown plenty of others' Edge's and Extra's that had bad tendencies toward tip-stalling and rolling out of tight loops as well.

I say build the Giles wing, try it out, and see how it goes. If you don't like it, try the MX-style wing.

Can't wait to see the build!

-Patrick

The design I have should be very light, and as such fly better that the Glow .40 size great planes kit I flew years ago. I also built a Midwest Kit that was much larger. It flew great but was plagued by engine problems and I sold it. The glow .40 size I designed was based on the Sig Kougar airfoil was was a great flying plane. The wing already cut is a MX2 planform. I think I will make both wings,locating the C/G right on the wing tube for each, making it a simple (at the field) change. It will be easy to tell the different flight characteristics. If I like both all I need to do is build another fuse assy and I'll have 2 planes.:fist-pump-and-yes-s

reyn3545

100cc
Maybe you should put BOTH wings on it.....

20161=12916-biplanes.jpg
20161=12916-biplanes.jpg