• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

New Airframe Ideas

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Ok everyone..... Besides the other projects I have going I am feeling the need to get my hands totally involved with another project. Kind of a distraction of sorts while the other projects come together. So, I am looking for ideas on a couple of new airframes. I picked up a nearly new 3W 170 and am just aching for another bigger plane. I would like to do something that would be very accommodating for the 3dub. Many of you out there in GSN land have had ample experience and knowledge of a variety of airframes and so I am looking for your input. I have been considering perhaps a 37.5% Pilot Yak 54 or maybe an MXS. I have been really getting more deeply involved with the whole 3D thing and feel I am ready for something that really gives a good slow flight characteristic and envelope for this type of flying. Since I have the GP powered Sukhoi, the 157 powered SD 260 and my PAU 300, I am looking for something a little different this time. I'd like to keep this opinion offering as an open suggestion without a lot of "fan boy" influence. Just a basic idea of airframes, their flight characteristics and why the suggestion. I am actually considering two new airframes in the near future. One being for the 170 and another 100cc class airframe. Perhaps for the 100cc class I will be looking at Terry's @Terryscustom new Viper ST. First things first though....

So lets hear it everyone. Got some ideas? Suggestions? I want to hear them all.....Muchly appreciato.....:way_to_go:

HRRC Flyer

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Hey @stangflyer ,

How about one of these ?....................................................................................................:lol2:
Stearman 21.jpg

dhal22

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
I fly a 35% Pilot Yak 54 and love it. Being a classic pattern fan I find myself looking at the Yak 55's a lot. I think it would make a great looking precision flyer with the option to switch to high rates and bang the sticks.

tylerzx9r

100cc
I myself own a Pilot 37.5% Yak and do enjoy it a lot! I was also in the same boat a year ago and asked @Terryscustom about the Viper-ST, and now am excited to get the time to finish, and fly it! I also own a PAU Edge 540, and love the way it flies in different characteristics than the Pilot. I would say for your 170 you need to go larger if it were a Pilot Yak, like 40%. If I were in your boat now...... I would suggest the Viper-ST Kit from Terry for the 100cc!

Xpress

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
I'd think something like an Edge or Extra would be a better candidate. Yak's tend to wobble a bit in harriers :D

Pilot has several 40% Edge or Extra's.