• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

New ZDZ112 B2RV / Installation into PAU Edge 540

Engine sounds great, looks like it has plenty of pull and it spools that prop like it's nothing.

Were you running the Falcon 28x9? I'm leaning towards trying a 28x9.5.

I know the guys up North like that prop and the 28x9w.

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
This is a 28x9. My new favorite on the DLE120 is the 28x9.5 so I will likely be ordering another one of those for this engine / plane combo. This engine is already as good or better than the DLE120 for performance and I understand that like a 3-dub they get more and more powerful with a few gallons through them. I've heard of guy's running the 28x10 and 29x9 on these just like a DA120. We'll see, these Jtec mufflers are letting it breath pretty nice too so that helps.

At the end of the third flight it was doing nice fast uplines with half throttle!

Motor seems really smooth. I like the way it was idling, not much vibrations in the wings/cowl/canopy. I am looking forward to seeing how it compares to a DA 120 in POWER>>>> :yesss:

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
wings/cowl/canopy. I am looking forward to seeing how it compares to a DA 120 in POWER>>>> :yesss:

Like the DLE120 the top end will be pretty much the same as the DA, but not much can compare to the bottom end grunt of the DA120. The thing with the ZDZ will be smooth throughout the range and the plane won't take a beating from the vibes.

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
Well we got out again for three more flights, nobody spraying for weeds but the sun was not shining for a great video......oh well, wind was not too bad and we had a blast!!! I got some tail-dragging and on the non-video flight I got a little nose up torque roll just to see how it sounds.

So being an engine guy I want so badly to turn in this low needle just a touch.......but it is running SOOO good and there is not hesitation, there is not overly sloppy mess on the plane and I'm doing it the way Joe told me to and it is working awesome!! I did tune the high needle just a tickle today. It is starting and running nice and we'll push a couple gallons through it as is and then tweak that mid range a bit.

One thing I am noticing is that it starts up great but almost could use a "half" choke setting to fire when I only let it set for 10 minutes or so between flights. From cold, starts no problem. I'll probably dial that in to my TX to make it easier next time out. The rotary valve needs to be a little juicy but not too juicy to start nicely when already warm. I'm digging the smoothness of the operation in the air so far though!

Enjoy:

image162.jpg
image213.jpg

Attachments

• image066.jpg
    image066.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 230
  • image069.jpg
    image069.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 201
  • image075.jpg
    image075.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 232
  • image093.jpg
    image093.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 364
  • image104.jpg
    image104.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 221
  • image128.jpg
    image128.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 202
  • image132.jpg
    image132.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 389
  • image134.jpg
    image134.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 257
  • image159.jpg
    image159.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 246
  • image169.jpg
    image169.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 515
  • image192.jpg
    image192.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 233
  • image219.jpg
    image219.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 182
  • image231.jpg
    image231.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 200
  • image239.jpg
    image239.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 242
  • image240.jpg
    image240.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 391
Hey @Terryscustom

Thanks for the excellent report on the ZDZ setup. You keep mentioning how smooth the engine is. Why is it so much smoother? Are rotary valve engines inherently smoother than reed valve engines? I'm guessing that the downside to the rotary valve is the weight and extra complexity/moving parts. Are there any other model engine manufacturers using rotary valves?

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
I'll let @Flyrcjoe answer most of that, but weight is not an issue. Back at the beginning you can see it's basically same as any other similar engine. There are actually less parts because the valve is an extension gob the crankshaft.