• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

PAU 120ccExtra

Bipeguy03

150cc
Had the maiden on The Extra today. 3 flights. First flight was just a trim and too check the balance. It was perfect. The second flight was knife edge mixing and I got it mixed in one flight. This plane flies like a dream. Made me realize how much I missed my first red PAU Extra. The 3rd flight I flew the IMAC Sportsman sequence and some flat spins and a short hover. THen I went back to hammerheads and a tall Humpty Bump. I'n the down leg I had a lock out. No response at all to any input. Luckily I regained control in time to pull out about a foot off the top of the bean field. All in all I'm a happy camper because I still have a plane. I'm now convinced that my Smart Fly is bad. This is the same one that I had problems with last year in the Edge. It's going in the trash. I should have the plane ready again tomorrow evening but not in time to fly it tomorrow.

The pictures are from after the first flight. One from my friend Parry's phone and the first one is from my phone.

View attachment 31939 View attachment 31940

Good thing you didn't tear up my airplane! lmao

Anyway, glad that other than the lock out you had a good maiden!

Tseres

150cc
I took the Smart Fly out, put the power safe receiver in and set the plane up again. I just ran out of time to tidy up the wiring. For some reason the wings keep showing up upside down in my pictures. I'll get it right sooner or later. :)
IMG_0962.JPG
IMG_0963.JPG
IMG_0964.JPG

Tom, I'm not sure if it is one specific smartfly or all but he had a warning on the early Spectrum/JR recievers and not powering the reciever through the power or bind/data port. It was causing lock out issues.

Bipeguy03

150cc
Tom, I'm not sure if it is one specific smartfly or all but he had a warning on the early Spectrum/JR recievers and not powering the reciever through the power or bind/data port. It was causing lock out issues.

He also had problems with it and a Futaba Rx, I'm going to pick it up from him at a fly-in in a couple of weeks and open it up and go through it. (mainly cause I have 2 of them and want to see if it's a problem I need to look out for).

I would almost bet that it is a crack in the substrate that is causing the power traces to have intermittent contact and causing the RX to brown out.

Tseres

150cc

Thanks James. It's just an old Smart Fly that something happened to. It worked great for 3 yrs in my first red Extra and a year in my Edge. Something just went wrong in it. Not a big deal. Other people are making a big deal out of it.

Last edited:

Tseres

150cc
He also had problems with it and a Futaba Rx, I'm going to pick it up from him at a fly-in in a couple of weeks and open it up and go through it. (mainly cause I have 2 of them and want to see if it's a problem I need to look out for).

I would almost bet that it is a crack in the substrate that is causing the power traces to have intermittent contact and causing the RX to brown out.

Last year with the Futaba it was more like a Glitch. Only a split second of disruption. This time it locked out for about a second and a half. Seemed like an eternity. LOL.