• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Permatex

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
A lot of fellas do discard gaskets but I personally like them. They allow me to neatly apply the sealant and when it comes time to remove, the thickness of the gasket, allows my knife to separate the joined pieces with out scarring the surface's. Of course prepping all over again for reassembly is part of it...clean...clean...clean.

My EME 60 and Header are almost 4 years old and 35+ gallons. The engine and exhaust connection stay nice and clean.

18249=12453-Photo186.jpg
18249=12453-Photo186.jpg
18249=12452-Photo187.jpg
18249=12452-Photo187.jpg

Kevin-Young

70cc twin V2
Jedijody;17911 wrote: Throw the gaskets away. As recommended above, make sure the sealing surfaces are flat using sand paper and a flat surface. Use a thin film (paper thin or less) of Permatex Ultra Copper and Loctite 262 on the bolts, tighten the bolts completely the first time, let it cure for a few hours, done.

That is what we recommend as well.

jaybird

70cc twin V2
49dimes;18249 wrote: A lot of fellas do discard gaskets but I personally like them. They allow me to neatly apply the sealant and when it comes time to remove, the thickness of the gasket, allows my knife to separate the joined pieces with out scarring the surface's. Of course prepping all over again for reassembly is part of it...clean...clean...clean.

My EME 60 and Header are almost 4 years old and 35+ gallons The engine and exhaust connection stay nice and clean.

What's impressive is that the EME went 35 gallons without the rod bearings taking a dump. hehe :fat:

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
jaybird;18253 wrote: What's impressive is that the EME went 35 gallons without the rod bearings taking a dump. hehe :fat:

YEA!(hearty laughing). I'm not including the first 5 gallons when they did:dancing-poop:

I know a guy that kepts breaking mufflers, turns out he was putting the liquid gasket on too thick; even though he was told not to... I completely agree with what everyone has said so far. I'm a Honda mechanic so of course I use the high temp silicone gasket maker (Honda Bond HT) that we use to glue on oil pans and pretty much everything else on an engine and have never had a problem with it. I think the preperation of the surface, and using a very thin amount is the true key here.

flycanic

70cc twin V2
I just use what I have in my truck mainly Cat sealants. The minute I receive an engine the first thing I do is throw away the exhaust gasket. I have never used an exhaust gasket for any engine going back many, many, years. Any good sealant will work! in the earlier post I see the bottle of red lock tight on the bottle it states Use heat to loosen or remove bolts DAAAA! . On the bottle it states HEAT OR SPECIAL TOOLS REQUIRED FOR DISSASSEMBLY.

Last edited:

Yakman

70cc twin V2
I also use the Cat silicone as well. This stuff worked great on the exhaust ports to pipes on my Harley as well. Neither has leaked.