• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Pilot 37% 107" Edge 4 Banger

dhal22

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Someone with the tools could probably make a header pretty easily. A tubing bender and a welder is about all you need.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Hey everyone. Sorry I have not updated this thread lately. Two things have occurred and I wanted to have the time to do this the right way. At present, I have been working out of town and will be for the next 6 weeks. Yeah, I am really missing out on getting my flight on. The second occurrence being the 128.

The second one has sounded awesome and performed only marginally. Yes, it does have good pull and it does run very smooth...."WHEN IT RUNS". What I found was that there was no happy medium in setting the needles. One setting allowed it to run slightly rich and it seemed to be semi reliable after that. If I set the needles where it really should be, taking into account a slight rich setting due to be new and a four cylinder... It would dead stick every time. Now I suppose I could have left it way rich and enjoyed it. But at the cost of a 32 oz. tank of gas in 8 minutes? Heck, I could just as easily had a big glow(shudder) motor on it. Sometimes it takes a motor manufacturer a good amount of time to get things right. However when they do the r & d, usually a great outcome will be the reward. I think DLA is on to something but still have a ways to go before it is as dependable as other motors that have proven themselves so well.

My last resort choice for replacement was my second new 111 with Bowman rings. Would have liked to go 3W or something along those lines. But my 111 on my PAU has preformed undeniably flawlessly. And I have spent so much time on this plane, I was truly starting to burn out. Since bolting the 111 on the Edge, I have flown it and really started enjoying it like I should be able to. NOT 1 dead stick and runs impeccably. That in itself says something to me. With the 111, The Edge is about 1.5 pounds lighter than even my PAU with the 111. Needless to say, it is a complete animal when I start pulling on those sticks.

Pretty sure I would buy another Pilot airframe ANYDAY.

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
32oz in 8 minutes is pretty reasonable for four jugs. A brand new DA120 only gets 8 minutes of thow-down flying when brand new and 10-12 minutes after broken in.

Sux the little quad isn't running properly though.

M

Matt

I think you should give the 116 twin a shot... No troubles and been running good so far have about 4 gallons through it and 32oz tank lasts about 12 minutes of hard flying... Just a thought I mean look how long it took DA to really figure out the 200....

HRRC Flyer

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Hey Rob,

I agree with Terry. It does suck when your new motor isn't performing like it should. It also sucks when you have to be away from your toys for six weeks. I've been there too. . . . . .:sorry:. Look on the bright side. When you get home, your toys will be there ready to go flying. . . . . . :yesss:.

At least you could have done was send me your 260. I would have been more than happy to take it flying a few times while you were away . . . . . :spongebob:

Be careful while you're away from home, Buddy.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
32oz in 8 minutes is pretty reasonable for four jugs. A brand new DA120 only gets 8 minutes of thow-down flying when brand new and 10-12 minutes after broken in.

Sux the little quad isn't running properly though.
I dunno if that figure is accurate. @Shayne Epley gets about the same amount of time and useage of the 222 on his 43% PAU as I do with either my 157 or 170. Somewhere around a few ounces more each flight. I would think that 128 cc's is going to use the same amount of fuel as pretty much any twin of the same relative size. Heck, it could be 128cc 9 cylinder....volume is volume. It really don't care how many jugs your feeding right?
Hey Rob,

I agree with Terry. It does suck when your new motor isn't performing like it should. It also sucks when you have to be away from your toys for six weeks. I've been there too. . . . . .:sorry:. Look on the bright side. When you get home, your toys will be there ready to go flying. . . . . . :yesss:.

At least you could have done was send me your 260. I would have been more than happy to take it flying a few times while you were away . . . . . :spongebob:

Be careful while you're away from home, Buddy.

Yeah, I have just come to expect that somewhere and sometime...you're gonna bring the 260 into conversation. I should feel honored. But really, I feel violated. Makes me think you are dreaming of my Blue Baby every night. LOL.....

Thanks David....appreciate ya pal!!!