• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Pilot 37% 107" Edge 4 Banger

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
Stupid me I guess, if it's fuel consumption as the main issue I guess it's up to you. I guess my main point was that as a NEW engine they will always use a little more until things get seated in. A four banger that small is all about cool factor anyway, it can never really produce enough power to overcome the added weight IMHO. 200 and up is where you start to see the visible benefits of the quad. Have you tried a different prop combo? I know at first you had a crazy large prop on order for it and it may be struggling with over-prop? Just an idea.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Stupid me I guess, if it's fuel consumption as the main issue I guess it's up to you. I guess my main point was that as a NEW engine they will always use a little more until things get seated in. A four banger that small is all about cool factor anyway, it can never really produce enough power to overcome the added weight IMHO. 200 and up is where you start to see the visible benefits of the quad. Have you tried a different prop combo? I know at first you had a crazy large prop on order for it and it may be struggling with over-prop? Just an idea.
True...cool factor is a plus. And granted it sounded cool...but dead stick every other flight??? So fuel consumption was really not the issue. As for the power, it was just off any 100 cc twin power. Which I was okay with since it is a four banger. I never got the chance to put anything other than a 28x10 Falcon on it. I would think 6420 static is pretty much in the ball park.

No matter, It sounded cool and it was okay to a point. But I really need to be able to trust my motors....that's what I worry about most.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Hey Rob,

Were you keeping track of temps when it would dead stick on you? I am wondering if it may be an overheating issue. Sucks you aren't happy with it. The cool factor for sound is a 10+!
I was... Temps were pretty consistent around 187 to about 195 on the rears. Weird thing is, it would dead stick on certain high energy maneuvers. I thought at first it was my tank or fuel line setups, but the tank was build basically like all my tanks. Plus, since putting the 111 on it, nothing was changed and not one dead stick. Tank and fuel line done like all my birds as well as my son's 222. Not a problem one.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
In short, the 100cc Pilot Edge has proven to be a really nice airframe. Whether set up with a four banger or conventional twin arrangement. Either way it is very stable yet extremely agile. I hope to revisit the possibility of a 100cc size 4 banger airframe. They just sound sooo cool. I hope DLA or a like company can get it nailed down. I think they are close...

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Getting excited about mine!!! :brian-banana::banana-dance::mario-banana::yesss::woohoo!:
Better get after it. Don't wait for next year. Jus.....dooooo it!!!

Btw, it's pretty hard to mess up the CG on this plane. Other than building a wooden stand off to mount the 111, (cuz I cut the motor box back for the 128-4) I really didn't change anything. I like just a tick tail heavy and man she handles it nice!

I was... Temps were pretty consistent around 187 to about 195 on the rears. Weird thing is, it would dead stick on certain high energy maneuvers. I thought at first it was my tank or fuel line setups, but the tank was build basically like all my tanks. Plus, since putting the 111 on it, nothing was changed and not one dead stick. Tank and fuel line done like all my birds as well as my son's 222. Not a problem one.

Sounds like a possible ignition issue.....