• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Pilot RC 122" Extra 330SC

Joe Hunt

150cc
I have never had a plane I need to use up elevator to fly level while inverted and I always add weight to my tails. This just blows my mind. It seems like your servos must weigh a pound.

I think it's the pipes... they go way behind the CG. I put stock mufflers on the Yak55 and it was totally nose heavy. I put a pound of tailweight on it and it was still nose heavy.

This plane, probably, yes. I am an IMAC and Freestyle guy, I might be better at IMAC, actually. In the past I have typically had all my planes closer to an IMAC setup than a Freestyle setup. Neutral at best, slightly nose heavy more likely. I went pull/pull rudder for that reason. And, ended up with one servo per elevator half. So, you can see I was not shooting for tailheavy. I like pilots in my planes. So, I was hoping I'd come out slightly nose heavy with this setup (it seemed I would be nose heavy after reading Spat's comments). Then I could add a pilot for some tailweight. I knew this was going to be a "fun" plane and not an IMAC plane, but I hoped to end up neutral on the CG (and I could move the batteries into the motorbox). But, it's tailheavy. However, it's floaty so it can handle it. It's not at all hard to fly, to the contrary, and it sure does help with the poptops! I never saw, in any video I've watched, a 122" plane spin like this one does! :) I think I could get away with more tail weight if I really wanted to get crazy. But, I like to "fly" my plane, too. And, already knife edge (and some other flying) is a bit unpredictable. Which is why you see me doing so much knife edge in the video... I'm trying to get comfortable with it in knife edge. The H9 Suk is a rock in knife edge. But, it won't poptop like this will! haha

I like mine slightly nose heavy too. There have been times when I even moved the CG past the manufacturers recommended range. I have found some of them are too far forward.

Joe Hunt

150cc
@Joe Hunt ....I have a Falcon 31x14 drilled for a DA150 if you're interested? It's a bit too much pitch on my piped 150.

That would be interesting... but I never went high pitch in the old days, felt like a pylon racer. haha I did buy a Mejzlik 30-13evofl because Tony Russo told me to (did I ever mention that guy is ornery? haha I kid! I kid!), and it's a good prop, but it makes any plane I put it on too fast for me. Fast downlines and fast landings. My problem is I haven't tried all these props to know what I like best yet (although I have bought half a dozen since I've come back). Maybe I'd like a 31-14... but I'm thinking the other way... like a 33-11, or something. I heard Falcon was letting everyone test all the various props at Joe Nall... that's the kind of situation I would like right now. haha Thanks for letting me know about it, though. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Joe Hunt

150cc
I ordered a Falcon 33-11W and DA is sending out a new carb and ignition. I got a new trash can for the shop, for some reason I liked the brand. haha

20151110_164912.jpg