• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Pilot RC 122" Extra 330SC

Joe Hunt

150cc
Just for grins... 57 seconds in on this video... is a clip from the 3rd flight on a new engine (it's the only reason that clip is in the video)... the 170 pulls the plane straight up out of a hover:

My new 170 is even stronger. And, when I'm flying my 122" Extra and hit the throttle it feels like a blown up balloon (not tied off) that you let go of, seriously, that's what it feels like.

If the ZDZ-180 is really more powerful... well?... that would be fun. haha A 4cyl would be fun for the sound and cool factor, too. I guess gotta get them all! :epic::sneaky:

Joe Hunt

150cc
I have talked to a couple people who have tried 4 cylinders and it's not a good combination. Lots of extra weight and the engine box needs to be cut in half. I am about to put a ZDZ 180 on one of mine and after using the ZDZ 180 on my extra 300 I can't wait. Personally I think the ZDZ 180 has more power than the DA 200 and of course it weights less.

I've always preached lighter and stronger, too. So what you're saying makes total sense. I did think that the unbuilt motorbox of the Pilot planes would make bolting on a 200 just as easy as bolting on a 170. :) I almost bought the DLE 222 a couple of months ago but heard they aren't as reliable as the DA.

You know... ;)... you live pretty close... ;)... you could invite me to visit and fly one of them there 180s. :yesss:

In my opinion, the 4 cylinders have a certain cool factor that makes me want one. On the opposite side, it's another carb to tune and you have to be diligent about getting enough cooling air to the rear cylinders. People are successfully doing it but I'd rather deal with one carb and doing the baffling for 2 cylinders.

Just my $0.02.

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
The way the 200 revs like an Italian sports car has it's appeal as well.

And who doesn't want to look in his cowl and see this!
IMG_1826.JPG