• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Scale Pitts S1-T, S1-S, and a Challenger.

acerc

640cc Uber Pimp
I just finished adding up the electronics behind the cockpit, I had them up from initially, and they are 2lbs. I guess sometime next week I will move them back to the firewall. Go figure.

WMcNabb

150cc
Robert, I assume you put the airplane on scales and then calculated the cg? I'm curious to know how similar it is to the full scale.

I definitely noticed your GSN shirt! Sorry I was so impressed with your model that I forgot to mention it.

acerc

640cc Uber Pimp
Robert, I assume you put the airplane on scales and then calculated the cg? I'm curious to know how similar it is to the full scale.

I definitely noticed your GSN shirt! Sorry I was so impressed with your model that I forgot to mention it.
I know a guy that does full scale and as for the process it is the same. I don't know if the spreadsheet for the calculations is the same or even similar.

Here is how it works, or the short of it. The plane is leveled and weighed at each wheel point, there are measurements taken for the mains, cg, and tail or nose wheel position. These numbers go into this spreadsheet and it calculates how much the tail or nose wheel should weigh. One uses this applied tail wheel weight to determine whether tail heavy or nose heavy. As for the comparison to full scale it is extremely similar with the fact that full scale has to account for many other factors such as oil volume and movement, fuel volume and movement, and other things of such. For our application it is very accurate and much easier than other balancing methods for these large aircraft.
This spreadsheet does the calculations for you, you just input the measurements and weights.

If anyone would like the spreadsheet send me a PM with your email and I will send it to you. I can not post it on the thread.

Last edited:

acerc

640cc Uber Pimp
you scaring me on the ballooning add expo!!!! very beautiful work and flight Sir
If you are talking about on the landing, that was not me. The wind was out of the south, there is a very large berm just south of the field, the berm creates some wicked turbulence that I normally won't fly in. But as I mentioned, take off was not my intensions, and landing was mandatory.

acerc

640cc Uber Pimp
Thank you for the details. I'm always curious to know where the cg should be versus where it actually falls.

I'm familiar with the full scale method but the easy part is the aircraft's type certificate gives the cg range.

The theoretical calculation for the model's cg range with the positive wing stagger and swept upper wing seems more difficult.

http://giantscalenews.com/threads/balance-stands.1831/#post-41683
Oh, I misunderstood, this spreadsheet I have been speaking of is for calculating balance with a given CG point. For that calculation there is a whole different spreadsheet, never the less they are they both extremely similar to full scale. And you are correct, there is a lot more to finding the position of the CG with the top wing being swept. When I come across such items as these spreadsheets I scoop them up, much easier than breaking out the books and calculator to burn brain cells over.