• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Scale Pitts S1-T, S1-S, and a Challenger.

jeff

30cc
Hey JohnM,

Nice to see you made it over...we won't say how the other site is drowning users in adds... Besides, we can use your humor here. Helps to keep things light.

Jeff

Jaketab

50cc
Started working on the tail sections of the EMHW Pitts S1 3.04m
Questions - does the attached pic demonstrate the correct location of the single attachment point for the flying wire on the fin ???
Since the top side tail section has only 1 flying wire at the trailing edge of the fin/stab, does the front stab tube need a screw or pin to keep the stab from gapping away from the fuse ????

Thanks - Jaketab

Attachments

• Fin Hard Point.jpg
    Fin Hard Point.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 266
  • Stab tube front.jpg
    Stab tube front.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 242

acerc

640cc Uber Pimp
That hard point looks right and I put bolt's both front and rear on mine. In the pic the arrow is the same on mine as yours. But on another note, if you are going to use the kit provided plastic strip to pull the fabric in at the bottom fin rib I would recommend replacing the balsa with hardwood. But if you are going to tie the fabric to the bottom fin rib no need for the hardwood, although it would be stronger.

Attachments

• 251.JPG
    251.JPG
    70 KB · Views: 430
Last edited:

acerc

640cc Uber Pimp
I would also recommend reinforcing the fin at the points noted in the pic with arrows, especially if using a shrink applied fabric. I bent bot on my first one.

Attachments

• 11.JPG
    11.JPG
    76.1 KB · Views: 287

Jaketab

50cc
Ace - Excellent tips I may not have caught. The balsa ribs on the fin are already installed. I may try harden it with CA or thinned epoxy.
I will certainly brace the fin.

Thanks - Jaketab

acerc

640cc Uber Pimp
The framework has been disassembled and ready. Now I will do some final sand and fill as needed per section and cover, I will start with the tail feather as they are going to be the biggest pain. But first a break to go fix my breaks. The rear pads are shot and I need to replace them before heading out for anything, such as some grub. Don't feel like cooking.

Attachments

• 16.JPG
    16.JPG
    65.6 KB · Views: 277

Jaketab

50cc
I'm documenting my build with photo's. I won't be posting the pics to avoid rehashing of matter.
Just sharing the how I secured the perimeter strips of the tail sections.

Jaketab

Attachments

• DSCF4003.JPG
    DSCF4003.JPG
    86.1 KB · Views: 298
  • DSCF4004.JPG
    DSCF4004.JPG
    68.5 KB · Views: 244