• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Scale Pitts S1-T, S1-S, and a Challenger.

acerc

640cc Uber Pimp
Thanks - I had in mind to leave the TE of the fin and stabs mostly square and round the LE of fin and stabs.
Will replace the post in the hinges with a single music wire.
Did you recess a pocket for the hinge barrel ????

Jaketab
No I did not make a recess, and I also use piano (.055) wire for the pins.

acerc

640cc Uber Pimp
The other stab and the fin are covered. Doing this without the pink tapes requires a lot more care on the perimeter and cut, much slower than I had anticipated.

Attachments

• P1080230.JPG
    P1080230.JPG
    62.8 KB · Views: 267

acerc

640cc Uber Pimp
And here is what probably will be the easiest part of the covering job, the rudder servo fuse hatch.

Attachments

• P1080231.JPG
    P1080231.JPG
    59.3 KB · Views: 233

acerc

640cc Uber Pimp
I have the fuse prepped and the pieces cut, but, it is up to 90° in here. So, I am calling it a day, closing up the windows, and turning the A/C on. The wife went in early today and will be home early, so there will not be any evening work, maybe.

Attachments

• P1080232.JPG
    P1080232.JPG
    64.7 KB · Views: 265

acerc

640cc Uber Pimp
The fuse is covered. Before I can shrink the covering fully I have to tie the fabric to the fin's bottom rib. Being I have no fabric tape, thread, or even a needle I will have to stop and go get it. I want the fuse finished so as to put the bottom wing on and check the fit, it may be to tight and require sanding which before I cover it.

Attachments

• P1080234.JPG
    P1080234.JPG
    71.9 KB · Views: 244

Jaketab

50cc
Working on the tail sections of the Pitts. Have idea to add/paste a 1/32" basswood strips to raise the ribs and to make the ribs stab out and give the tail sections a slightly airfoil look. The basswood will sand smoother than balsa. Any thoughts on whether doing this could have adverse affects on covering or otherwise ??????

Thanks - Jaketab

Attachments

• DSCF4008.JPG
    DSCF4008.JPG
    75.3 KB · Views: 244
Last edited:

acerc

640cc Uber Pimp
I don't see any adverse affects, but the full scale used tubing and did not have an airfoil, just saying.
Back on the topic of rounding the T/E-L/E, as noted the full scale used tubing so those surfaces were rounded. But the full scale has access to a foam filler (see pic) to keep the gap from causing flutter of the control surfaces. This flutter is why I square the non functioning side, to cut down on the flutter. So far I have not seen any issue.

Attachments

• 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    88.7 KB · Views: 267
Last edited:

Jaketab

50cc
The truth might be that I got too aggressive with sanding and got into the balsa ribs.
The thin strips over the ribs will help conceal my aggression.

Jaketab

acerc

640cc Uber Pimp
The fuse covering is complete, now to fit the lower wing halves then cover them.

Attachments

• P1080235.JPG
    P1080235.JPG
    65.1 KB · Views: 264
  • P1080236.JPG
    P1080236.JPG
    60 KB · Views: 252