• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Scale Pitts S1-T, S1-S, and a Challenger.

john_M

30cc
Hey JohnM,

Nice to see you made it over...we won't say how the other site is drowning users in adds... Besides, we can use your humor here. Helps to keep things light.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff... well I understand they need to pay the rent, but that's just a bit excessive

I try to make light of things where I can... we have a guy at our field that recently stuck in his giant extra 300... he use to always complain about loading and unloading it from his vehicle... I said to him as he brought back the bits and pieces, "well Jerry, at least you'll be able to see out the rear view mirror on you way home" :angel:... luckily I can run fast at my age:lol2:... the guys and I are pitching in to help him replace it... nice bunch over there at the Apollo XI field.

John M,

acerc

640cc Uber Pimp
The brakes took a whole lot longer than expected, had to do it twice for they gave me the wrong pads.
The ele/stab has been sanded and hinges drilled for pinning but my bottle of GG said I don't think so, it obviously has expired, hard as a rock. So I am going to make a HD run and get some GG and pick up a 6' shop light.

Attachments

• P1080224.JPG
    P1080224.JPG
    81.5 KB · Views: 264

Jaketab

50cc
The ele/stab has been sanded and hinges drilled for pinning but my bottle of GG said I don't think so, it obviously has expired, hard as a rock. So I am going to make a HD run and get some GG and pick up a 6' shop light.

Ace - I think you answered my next question in your pic. You are installing and pinning the flat Karvan hinges before covering and using the expanding GG ???? I have only used GG on smaller ARF's with Robert pin hinges, and have never had a hinge pull loose.

Jaketab

acerc

640cc Uber Pimp
You are correct in every regard except, the Kavan hinges are not flat. But rather, they have a taper which make's using something that expands such as Gorilla glue far better. I adhere the covering to the T/E of the stab and L/E of ele then using a small syringe squirt GG in the opening. Then slide the hinges in and install the pinning stick (tooth pick), let dry and then carry on with the covering. For the record I use c/a for the pinning, the fit is tight and any other glue would just be squeezed off during insertion.

acerc

640cc Uber Pimp
I would also like to say post all that you would like of your build. I would like to see your work and I'm sure other's would as well. Never to old to learn something new.

acerc

640cc Uber Pimp
The hinges have been glued in and pinned. I had to revert back to the normal way without putting the fabric first, way to hard and messy. I will give it a bit then sand the dowels and start covering. The second pic shows how well the GG does the job.

Attachments

• P1080225.JPG
    P1080225.JPG
    70.2 KB · Views: 256
  • P1080226.JPG
    P1080226.JPG
    75.6 KB · Views: 237

acerc

640cc Uber Pimp
After posting the hinge's being glued in this morning I figured being they need two hours to cure I would run to a friends. The run was to pick up the clear coat and some fine line, I really figured I would be back in two hours. But somehow it turned into five, then a neighbor asked if I would lift his cattle trailer with my tractor so he could fix the tongue jack. I finally got back to the covering about 6:30. The ele's are covered, next up the stab's.

Attachments

• P1080227.JPG
    P1080227.JPG
    65.3 KB · Views: 253

Jaketab

50cc
Robert,
With regard to the perimeter LE/TE of the tail structures, are you beveling the TE and rounding the LE - or - rounding both sides ????

Regards - Jaketab

acerc

640cc Uber Pimp
The stab is rounded except at the rear, that is squared. The ele is rounded on all sides with the hinging side ovalish. With the gap these hinges require there is enough throw for 3D even with the stab squared.

Jaketab

50cc
Thanks - I had in mind to leave the TE of the fin and stabs mostly square and round the LE of fin and stabs.
Will replace the post in the hinges with a single music wire.
Did you recess a pocket for the hinge barrel ????

Jaketab