• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Plane Restraint

mndless

Don't know a thing..

Xpress

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
We have a canopy that runs over the length of the pits, covering the worktables. Usually we strap the airplanes against that, the pillars supporting the canopy have 200lb of concrete that was poured around most of them them. It's pretty sturdy...

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
We have pipes in the ground that accept conduit with pool noodles. Very quick and easy to use. We are planing to add some larger wider spaced ones for holding the wings on planes larger than 35%. There are bricks buried flush with the ground between the pipes so you can locate them easier. If not the clover will hide them very quickly.

20140406_114531small.jpg
IMGP2183.JPG

emtp275

100cc
I was thinking about the nylon strap idea with the large dog leash systems that screw into the ground. The goalpost looking stakes work well for 30-50cc start up and WO run but the 100cc I would not try mine looks as though it is ready to una## it at 1/8 throttle, It would be fine to start one on but I have seen WO starts before one that i was flipping the prop for a guy and thank God @ChickenBalls was on the stabs or it would have turned me into ground beef.

At my home field the club put together a start up pad for those of us with big planes. For here at home I just use a long metal rod pounded into the ground with a nominal length of some parachute cord looped around the tail with a slip knot,,, so long as the engine is at a low idle setting there's no issue while removing to go fly. I've used this in a pinch or 2 when out flying by myself in other locations.

Attachments

• poles.jpg
    poles.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 279
  • KIMG0173.jpeg
    KIMG0173.jpeg
    57.6 KB · Views: 267

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Since an available member/helper is not always at the ready, I purchased a 12 foot by 1" nylon strap from our local D and B supply. I put a "D" ring at both ends then had those ends folded over the "D" rings and sewed closed. I also purchased two steel 12" by 3/4" tie down stakes. I drive one into the ground where ever I set up for the day. The other is for back up in case I loose one. Both ends of the strap go over the tie down stake with the loop going over the fuse and stabs. Once my plane is started, I simply lift one end over the stake and away I go. Quick, easy and more than strong enough to hold my big birds.

I am also thinking this setup might have been an advantage for @49dimes earlier this week. :laughing:

Bhughes

70cc twin V2
I carry two metal rods about four feet long and pool noodles when traveling abroad pound them in the ground in front of the wings and just use the rudder to wheel it out back after starting or a very thick rope meant for a horse that's 20 feet long and tie it off and drap it over the tail and elev