• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Discussion powerlab 6 & 8

Question; when using my power lab 6 charger and charging my batteries (4S Glacier batteries), the charger turns off before the batteries are 100% charged. It turns off when the batteries reach 16.4v as opposed to 16.8. I'm using a solidhobby 24v, 47A, 1150watts power supply.
any help would be greater appreciated.

It sounds like your charge routine is set to 95% charge. This setting terminates the charge faster with less time spent on the balancing cycle. It is also supposed to be good for your packs vs charging to a full 4.2 volts/cell. I use this setting often as I usually land with around 3.7v in the pack. The slightly reduced capacity doesn't bother me and I feel like I'm getting the most cycles out of my packs.

It sounds like your charge routine is set to 95% charge. This setting terminates the charge faster with less time spent on the balancing cycle. It is also supposed to be good for your packs vs charging to a full 4.2 volts/cell. I use this setting often as I usually land with around 3.7v in the pack. The slightly reduced capacity doesn't bother me and I feel like I'm getting the most cycles out of my packs.

How would I go about changing this setting? Thanks

Which preset are you using to charge with? I just looked through my PL6 presets and they are all factory set to 4.2 volts/cell, except the "Long Life" preset which is 4.1 volts/cell.

You can either change the cutoff voltage directly from the charger or on the computer through the USB connection. I usually use the USB, because it gives you so many more options. Control at the charger is limited to only a few settings.

Here is the steps to do it at the charger: (This is on a PL6, I assume a PL8 is the same)
*Get to the preset you plan to use.
*Press both INC & DEC buttons together at the same time until a beep and the screen displays "Choose TASK" ">Preset Settings"
*Press ENTER to choose preset settings.
*Press ENTER to scroll through until you see "Cell Level Chg. Voltage?
*Then press INC/DEC to get the voltage you desire.
***NOTE*** DO NOT GO OVER 4.2 VOLTS/CELL!! It's bad for the cells and could cause puffing or worse (lipo fire)

I'll make a vid and post it to you tube then post a link here. Hope this helps.