• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Rant......Pre assembled fuel tanks.

Skyluc

50cc
I always use Hylomar joint in the thread of the cap of my selfmade gas cans and in the threads of the fittings,and never had a problem as it s fuel proof and prevents any leakage

Ohio AV8TOR

Just Do It
I did not need it but I purchased one of the new tanks that Taildragger RC is selling because I liked the way it all looks and wow this is a winner. I am using a 26oz Propel water bottle for my DA-70 but don't really like it because it is round. I ordered the 32oz feeling like I could put a 26 and 28oz fill line. First thing I notice is that it is actually shorter than my 26oz Propel and also shorter that the Fiji 32oz. The fuel line hose they supply is way to flexible and in fact just from shipping it was tangled around the down pickup line. I will be replacing with Viton and a length of brass tubing to keep it all straight. Otherwise a winner for sure (providing the o-rings hold up. If you are curious the main cap is larger than a standard water bottle cap.

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
I did not need it but I purchased one of the new tanks that Taildragger RC is selling because I liked the way it all looks and wow this is a winner. I am using a 26oz Propel water bottle for my DA-70 but don't really like it because it is round. I ordered the 32oz feeling like I could put a 26 and 28oz fill line. First thing I notice is that it is actually shorter than my 26oz Propel and also shorter that the Fiji 32oz. The fuel line hose they supply is way to flexible and in fact just from shipping it was tangled around the down pickup line. I will be replacing with Viton and a length of brass tubing to keep it all straight. Otherwise a winner for sure (providing the o-rings hold up. If you are curious the main cap is larger than a standard water bottle cap.

Just slip a piece of a large drinking straw over that noodle. Problem solved. The tubing is very durable and does not get hard with ethanol "included" fuels. I personally like the elasticity of the tubing. Allows the clunk to traverse easily. Speaking of clunks...This is where I see maybe hard g maneuvers letting the clunk "slap" the tank sides so violently it causes a crack in the tank. I am going to address this with a fiber clunk in mine instead of the chunk of metal that comes with it.

camss69

70cc twin V2
Let us know if you ever get an answer... I'd be interested to know what he says... I'm surprised people still buy them but almost daily you read someone's new build with a Fortitude tank...

Just doing some maintenance and found my third tank that was new last year that leaked over the winter:mad:.........:mad:!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sent a message asking for suggestions and got the answer I thought I'd get (insert crickets chirping here). Guess I'll send another message every day till they tell me what to do with these tanks. I ordered some more PSP caps to have in stock.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Let us know if you ever get an answer... I'd be interested to know what he says... I'm surprised people still buy them but almost daily you read someone's new build with a Fortitude tank...
It's a fan boy thing......:devil-dance:

I had the opportunity to check the new tanks Chad is offering through TDRC verses the Fortitude tanks. One in each hand. The Fortitude feels way less sturdy. As in the walls of the tank seem so flimsy. While the TDRC tanks seem considerably more rigid. Comparatively speaking. And I really couldn't tell much difference in the weight. Chad also has some really nice felt clunks.

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
Yup, got four new tanks from chad, the other tanks are flimsy and the taildragger ones have metal caps with O-rings. Not to even mention that the fittings are metal and also have O-rings Old ones are getting yanked. Only thing that compares is PSP and Fiji and the taildragger units are cheaper than that setup.

Lojik

70cc twin V2
Not a leak yet but I've had my 16oc fourtitude tank in my pilotrc 260 for about a year now, was very happy with it I got a 32oz for my new 91 Yak, will let you know if I have any issues.

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
Not a leak yet but I've had my 16oc fourtitude tank in my pilotrc 260 for about a year now, was very happy with it I got a 32oz for my new 91 Yak, will let you know if I have any issues.

If you look under your cap and the sealant is gray, it will leak. Make sure you at least tighten the cap (the sealant is soft so the cap will likely tighten). Then seal the cap on with something from the outside. I had three leak in planes that we bought new last summer and now have two other friends that had the same issue with new tanks. Not bashing, them just don't want to see any more people with fuel in their planes. I understand they stopped production and are working on a solution.

Lojik

70cc twin V2
Thanks I will give it a good look over, I know I could not get the cap off or move it when I installed it as I thought it wasn't sealed but it was very well sealed on mine