• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

RCGF 120

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
I'm tickled pink that your 120 runs just as well as Chad's and Diggy's, Rob. Mine, not so much. I think I was more amped up about this engine than you were.

Not sure on mine, but 3 mins into the first flight, she locked up tighter than a snare drum. Not hard on it, did 1 vertical pull at full power and 1 short downwind blast, just after take off. Idled great, transition great, no burble, high end sounded awesome. It did try to take my hand off 2x, but fortunately, I flip hard and fast. Almost sounds like some preignition is happening.

Oh well. It happens to the best of them anytime, any place and any engine. No collateral damage, so that is the nice part. It will be a few weeks before I get the engine out and back.
I was very skeptical at first. Knawing feeling in the pit of my stomach. But this usually happens when trying something different than what I am accustomed to. Sucks about your motor. I honestly put mine through the wringer on the last of the second flight and "ALL" of the third flight. LOOOOOONG hard upline pulls. Went to immediate idle to see if it would die. Then into 1/3 to 1/2 power blenders to see if I could make it do what the DLA 4 banger did. "DIE". Long hard full power upline again and into knife edge spins....down into blenders and straight into high alpha rolling circles. Off to full powered speed tests, both upright and inverted. Half to full powered knife edge circles... harriers...and right "IN" your face hovering 2" off the deck. OH and my all time favorite...full powered knife edge snaps to opposite wing up knife edge. All this with the wind blowing pretty hard all morning. Everything I tossed at it Chris, it came back and just said, "Ha, is that all you got for me"? Like I mentioned here and elsewhere, I am very..."VERY" hard to impress due to my 3dubs. I "AM" impressed so far with this motor.
What did you do for the choke linkage?
I just used a simple 2/56 rod with a nylon clevis. It drops straight down out the bottom of the cowl. See second to last photo in above post. You can see it. Not very pretty, but hey...like the cowl...I just wanted to get this thing in the air today. I will make it all pretty with the new cowl.

acerc

640cc Uber Pimp
RCexl Opto-kill switches are...killer. Bwaahaa haa haa.

Thank you one and all. I'll be here all week.

Best on the market.
I prefer the Tech-Aero, but have an equal number of both. No discernable difference between them and have no idea why I prefer the TA.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
I prefer the Tech-Aero, but have an equal number of both. No discernable difference between them and have no idea why I prefer the TA.
I prefer the Opto-kill for two primary reasons. Cost: 12 bucks shipped. Also, don't have to use an extra ignition battery. It can be plugged straight into rx. or SF board.:way_to_go:

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
So the RCGF 120 equipped 107" Pilot Edge is getting different exhaust. For no more than they weigh and the improvement the DLE 111 gained, I figured why not. Besides, they were laying around, might as well give them a try.

At barely 26 lbs., the Edge probably won't even feel the mere pound or so. The 120 shouldn't either.

I will be using the same cowl for now. Until I know it's what I'm wanting and performs well, the new cowl stays shelved.

20160606_200501.jpg
20160606_200511.jpg
20160606_200542.jpg