• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Scale RCM 1/3 Scale Champ Build

dhal22

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
I'm going to reread the paint setup description a few times as I try to wrap my head around the various implements you mentioned.

TonyHallo

150cc
Got the last coat of primer on the cowl today, no pin holes or other flaws, ready for final block sand before applying the Ekopoxy water based primer. Before switching to the water based paints I sprayed the cooling baffle and the inside of the cowl ahead of the cooling baffle with flat black rattle can paint. Also dusted on some flat black paint as a guide coat. These will be set aside until show time, possibly next week weather depending. Gave the steel piping a thought as well, may just go a head and hang it to get it out of my way, made a list of fittings needed to get started. The pipe was salvaged from canvas awnings that we eliminated, 3/4" galvanized pipe, have about 60', should be long enough to get the air cool.

IMG_1225 (1).JPG

TonyHallo

150cc
The weather has been crappy so I went ahead and installed the piping. There is 60' of 3/4" pipe, this results in a retention time of 30 seconds when flowing 4 to 5 SCFM. This will only help the air dryer, before I painted the wings last fall I regenerated the desiccant and it lasted through the primer and paint stage plus priming the cowl this spring. The indicator is now pink indicating time to regenerate. Should be able to complete the Champ painting without any worry. With an oil less compressor and dry air, spraying is a little less stressful.

TonyHallo

150cc
The flying wires arrived today from http://www.flying-wires.ch/flying-wires/index.html, all I can say is they are a thing of beauty in addition lighter than the wires I had previously built. The wires i made were 32 grams a pair while the Aero Scale come in at 18 grams a pairs. I'll be using these again. Plus left and right hand threads so easy to adjust. Might start making the spray area tomorrow mid 60's today, I want to paint some 7AC Yellow.
Just checked my email, ordered the wires on 2/21/2021, 1 month, not bad.

IMG_1234.jpg

WMcNabb

150cc
The flying wires arrived today from http://www.flying-wires.ch/flying-wires/index.html, all I can say is they are a thing of beauty in addition lighter than the wires I had previously built. The wires i made were 32 grams a pair while the Aero Scale come in at 18 grams a pairs. I'll be using these again. Plus left and right hand threads so easy to adjust. Might start making the spray area tomorrow mid 60's today, I want to paint some 7AC Yellow.
Just checked my email, ordered the wires on 2/21/2021, 1 month, not bad.

View attachment 117508
Good to hear the strong endorsement for the flying wires!
Looking forward to seeing more 7AC yellow!!

TonyHallo

150cc
I hung the plastic today and sprayed a coat of Ekofill on the tail plane fabric parts, sand with 320 and one coat of Ekoprime and should be ready for color. The back of my garage looks like a Dexter Morgan cut room. My wife is not happy about that! Tomorrow I may etch the aluminum parts and get a coat of Ekopoxy on those, they should be ready for color then.

IMG_1240.JPG

TonyHallo

150cc
I can't wait until I get the parts painted and do another weight and balance. I'm starting to second guess the satellite receivers in the back of the plane that will not be accessible. I have an early model FrSky transmitter and thinking about replacing it. It works find, just 7 or 8 years old and parts are no longer available, wanted to but a power switch but could not find one, it is different than plus model currently sold. Once covered I will no longer have access to the bind button, thinking I need to bind to a newer model transmitter. There's a lot of talk about the new Frsky Model X20 coming out soon but I'm pretty sure I'll stick with a Taranis Plus SE model with Access. Any other OpenTX and FrSky users out there? Thoughts?

dhal22

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
I had Antonio de Souza show me around his Powerbox Core radio and I was amazed. So freaking flexible, I was sold in minutes. 40 years of Futaba and my next radio will be the Core.

TonyHallo

150cc
I had to google both Antonio and the radio. Great flying at the 2019 Joe Nall, really like the down on the deck slow roll. The radio looks wonderful, a little beyond what I would spend however. With todays modern radios, there is no difference in the capability of the bottom end verses the top end radio, both can do the same functions and mixing. Only difference is the quality of the parts, the care in assembling.