• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Scale RCM 1/3 Scale Champ Build

WMcNabb

150cc
I had Antonio de Souza show me around his Powerbox Core radio and I was amazed. So freaking flexible, I was sold in minutes. 40 years of Futaba and my next radio will be the Core.

I had to google both Antonio and the radio. Great flying at the 2019 Joe Nall, really like the down on the deck slow roll. The radio looks wonderful, a little beyond what I would spend however. With todays modern radios, there is no difference in the capability of the bottom end verses the top end radio, both can do the same functions and mixing. Only difference is the quality of the parts, the care in assembling.

Antonio is amazing to watch. Had the privilege of seeing him at two Extreme Flight events held at the local field recently.

Check out his video on the thread here at GSN:
http://giantscalenews.com/threads/awesome-video-thread.4490/page-43#post-235731

-Rick-

100cc
I can't wait until I get the parts painted and do another weight and balance. I'm starting to second guess the satellite receivers in the back of the plane that will not be accessible. I have an early model FrSky transmitter and thinking about replacing it. It works find, just 7 or 8 years old and parts are no longer available, wanted to but a power switch but could not find one, it is different than plus model currently sold. Once covered I will no longer have access to the bind button, thinking I need to bind to a newer model transmitter. There's a lot of talk about the new Frsky Model X20 coming out soon but I'm pretty sure I'll stick with a Taranis Plus SE model with Access. Any other OpenTX and FrSky users out there? Thoughts?
I have been flying with a FrSky Horus x12s since it came out. I have open TX on it. I am very happy with the system but I doubt that I'm using 20% of what Open tx is capable of. I do have the new x20s on order and it now runs on ETHOs operating system. Etho's was designed by one of the creators of Open Tx and from what I have read many people are happy with it. Seems simpler than Open Tx but just as capable.

TonyHallo

150cc
In my mind it's hard to image anything that I want to do that can't be done in OpenTX. I've read the all the post over on RCg for ETHOS and the new X20, there's a half million views for a transmitter that's not commercial yet! Hasn't changed my mind yet, sticking with Taranis Plus SE, hell I hate to give up my old model B Taranis as it does everything I need, not sure what could make it a better radio. I did most every mod to it, bigger speaker, crack and pop mod, Futaba switches, M9 gimbals, just soldered a new antenna on it, broke the swivel on it last year. Learned how to solder SMT components under a microscope, had fun with it. Something I would hesitate to do with a more expensive radio. All my previous radios went back to Futaba or Radio South for service.

TonyHallo

150cc
Got the aluminum parts etched and primed today with Ekopoxy, according to the manual I have 5 days to get the color on, a goal to shot for. With any luck tomorrow I will get the cowl, struts and windshield fairing sanded and primed as well as sanding the fabric parts with 320 and priming those. Color on Tuesday possibly. there's a lot of bits an pieces there.
IMG_1243.JPG

-Rick-

100cc
I have friend that feels the same way. Plus he has the module in the back so he can still use all of his many DSM2 rx's. The way the bay is on the back of the x20 that module will not fit it. I'm sure it will come but how long will that take. He is the same as yourself, see no need to change.

In my mind it's hard to image anything that I want to do that can't be done in OpenTX. I've read the all the post over on RCg for ETHOS and the new X20, there's a half million views for a transmitter that's not commercial yet! Hasn't changed my mind yet, sticking with Taranis Plus SE, hell I hate to give up my old model B Taranis as it does everything I need, not sure what could make it a better radio. I did most every mod to it, bigger speaker, crack and pop mod, Futaba switches, M9 gimbals, just soldered a new antenna on it, broke the swivel on it last year. Learned how to solder SMT components under a microscope, had fun with it. Something I would hesitate to do with a more expensive radio. All my previous radios went back to Futaba or Radio South for service.

dhal22

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
I had to google both Antonio and the radio. Great flying at the 2019 Joe Nall, really like the down on the deck slow roll. The radio looks wonderful, a little beyond what I would spend however. With todays modern radios, there is no difference in the capability of the bottom end verses the top end radio, both can do the same functions and mixing. Only difference is the quality of the parts, the care in assembling.

Antonio is an Extreme Flight sponsored pilot and EF's home field is our club. Anyway, I won an instruction hour (2?) with Antonio at our Extreme Flight flyin last fall and he spent some time afterwards showing me the Core radio.

TonyHallo

150cc
Now that's pretty neat, you get to see his flying on a regular basis. When I learned to fly RC some 35+ years ago I can remember my instructor harping about smooth stick movement and becoming a better flyer, not so today! I don't know how I could keep up with the stick banging corner to corner. Another thing I noticed when hoovering across the field towards the pilot the rudder is in constant motion while there's is no noticeable movement of the airplane, I guess that's why I can't fly 3d, I keep trying to make the corrections while you need to be ahead of the corrections.

dhal22

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Antonio actually is not a member at our club, a little too far away (1+hour) but he is there for his sponsor's events.

TonyHallo

150cc
My grandson decided to nap this morning, gave me a chance to block sand the guide coat on the cowl, started with 320 and said to myself this is silly since the cowl will get a coat of white Ekoprime, switched to 220. I'm happy with the result. 45 degrees here today to cold to paint, 72 tomorrow hopefully will get the Ekoprime on the cowl, fabric parts and lift struts. Time permitting I will put the yellow on the aluminum parts too as it looks like the weather forecast for Thursday is too cold.
IMG_1245.JPG