• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Sport Restoring The Laser

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Hey Rob,

No, that's not it at all. It just wouldn't be the right to say anything here.

It must be a pain to have to work out of town so much, but we gotta do what we gotta do to keep food on the table "so to speak". I'm off at noon today, so I'm heading to the LHS to get my servo and I've got to take my brand new 4K ultra high definition television to the shop to see why it suddenly went into standby mode and won't come out. . . . . . :mad:.

OK, I have a question. Does anyone know what size wheels belong on the 1/3 scale Laser?
Totally agree... just pokin' a little fun.

As for wheel size for the Lazer. When I had my Lanier 1/3 scale Extra 300 back in '97, I want to say I used 4" for that one. I think I also used 4" for the Lazer I built for a guy the same year. But don't quote me. I can't remember 100% for sure. Most 35%'ers are around 4 or 4.5.

As for putting bread on the table? I'm too fat to worry about bread. Daddy needs more planes. Lol

Have a great day!

HRRC Flyer

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Well Fella's,

I am the proud owner of my first giant scale plane. I talked to the man who owns the Laser and I'm going to pick it up Friday afternoon. I'm so excited right now, that I cannot stand myself . . . . . :lol2: I also learned a few new things about the airplane. First of all, it is possible that it's not actually a Lanier. Tony said he couldn't remember for sure, but he said it MAY actually be a Godfrey Laser. THAT, my friends would be awesome. . . . . :brian-banana: I am also getting the plans so I will know for sure. He said it already has the fiberglass cowl on it and not the thin plastic one that came with the kit. So that's one less thing I need to worry about. He also has some wheel pants for it, but I won't be needing those either. Wheel pants will only cover up too much of my wheels. Speaking of which, I need to remember to call Verne on Monday.

OK, now I need to see if I'm going to be able to sleep tonight . . . . . . :bigyawn: . . . . . . . . . . . :sleepy:

Goodnight

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Well Fella's,

I am the proud owner of my first giant scale plane. I talked to the man who owns the Laser and I'm going to pick it up Friday afternoon. I'm so excited right now, that I cannot stand myself . . . . . :lol2: I also learned a few new things about the airplane. First of all, it is possible that it's not actually a Lanier. Tony said he couldn't remember for sure, but he said it MAY actually be a Godfrey Laser. THAT, my friends would be awesome. . . . . :brian-banana: I am also getting the plans so I will know for sure. He said it already has the fiberglass cowl on it and not the thin plastic one that came with the kit. So that's one less thing I need to worry about. He also has some wheel pants for it, but I won't be needing those either. Wheel pants will only cover up too much of my wheels. Speaking of which, I need to remember to call Verne on Monday.

OK, now I need to see if I'm going to be able to sleep tonight . . . . . . :bigyawn: . . . . . . . . . . . :sleepy:

Goodnight
I am so happy for you Dave....I can't wait to see the photos you post of it. Heck...to me in my opinion...it could be a giant scale brick as a first giant scale. Nothing like your very first really "BIG" bird. LOL. Gosh, I remember when I was restoring my baby....she was so...soo.....well so darned big. Now though? Yeah, not so much. They just become another plane and you soon acclimate to the size. That is why ya just keep going bigger, and "BIGGER" and BIGGER!!!!!! Well, at least that is my story. LOL....good on ya and congrats my friend.

HRRC Flyer

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Rob,

Thanks for the kind words, I really appreciate it Buddy. I'm getting more and more excited every day. I don't know if I'll be able to make it till Friday or not. I don't know how long it will take me to get step up to one as big as your Baby. I just hope it doesn't take me the 15 years it took me to step up to 50cc. . . . . :laughing:

On a different note, I have changed my mind again regarding the engine for my Laser AGAIN. I will be putting my 3W70 twin in it as I may have other plans for the 55CS. I'm hoping I can make up for the difference in weight of the motor by moving my battery packs back behind the wing saddle. This may be easier said than done since I will be going from two 2000 mAh nickel metal hydride packs to two LiFe packs.

OK, I've got to get off this thing and call Verne to order my Bling.

See Ya'll

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
Hmn.....3dub 70......I see you like "flying engines" too!:). Looking much much forward to your reports!

Now get your "bling on":D. @Bartman we need an emoji like this:D with a shiny gold tooth!

HRRC Flyer

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Well Fellas,

Yeah Kelly, I do like my 3Dub's. IMHO Sure they cost more, but as far as I'm concerned, you get what you pay for. If tomorrow works out right, I will get my Laser AND my White Rose order . . . . . WOOOOO HOOOOO. While I had Verne on the phone yesterday, I ordered a new tail wheel and steering assembly for the Laser as well. I figured it would be a good way to add "useful" weight to the tail to help offset the twin hanging on the firewall. The only remaining thing I need to do is hit up @Decal Dennis for some of his GSN and 3W decals, but I need to have the plane to get the right sizes.

See Ya'll

Decal Dennis

TEAM EP&G
Well Fellas,

Yeah Kelly, I do like my 3Dub's. IMHO Sure they cost more, but as far as I'm concerned, you get what you pay for. If tomorrow works out right, I will get my Laser AND my White Rose order . . . . . WOOOOO HOOOOO. While I had Verne on the phone yesterday, I ordered a new tail wheel and steering assembly for the Laser as well. I figured it would be a good way to add "useful" weight to the tail to help offset the twin hanging on the firewall. The only remaining thing I need to do is hit up @Decal Dennis for some of his GSN and 3W decals, but I need to have the plane to get the right sizes.

See Ya'll

Just let me know and I'll get some stuff printed up for you:)

Decal Dennis

TEAM EP&G
@David Cokley

Should be plenty of time between now and then, but keep in mind......I will be temporarily suspending graphics work on December 11th, I am going under the knife on December 18th, so I will be out of commission for awhile. I'd say 100% out of commission for 2-3 weeks. I won't be able to walk at all (without assistance) for 6-8 weeks:(, but I think after the 2-3 weeks I'll be able to get around good enough to load and operate the printer. I'm bull headed, so I may be trying before then tho;)