• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Sport Restoring The Laser

HRRC Flyer

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Examples of what I can do with the 3W logo

2D, 3D, billions of colors........my only limitation is imagination

View attachment 44675

@Decal Dennis,

Those are just AWESOME ! ! ! ! They are just what the doctor ordered. . . . . :big_yes: You will definitely be hearing from me on Monday. I hate talking shop when you're not at work, but can you do the one that looks like chrome with matching text? My Laser is insignia blue on top and I don't think the black text will show up very well. The entire bottom of my plane is white so the bottoms of the wings need some quite large GSN logo's too.:yesss:

Thank you Sir.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Hey Kelly,

I do have a great boss, but I had to laugh at your post.

What do you want to know about the 3W70? Ironically enough, according to the manual, it will not turn a prop much larger than the 3W55cS. A buddy mine is building a JTEC 1/4 scale M12 and he's using a 3W70 CS. I cannot wait to see that thing fly. The biggest difference between the 3W70 and the DA70 is the 3W has a rear carburetor and the DA has the carburetor on the bottom of the motor. Obviously, there are more differences than this, but this is the biggest one.

Looks like I will have to wait until next weekend to get it (if I don't have to work again). Then I'll post some pics and see if I made a wise decision, which would be a first for me . . . . :lol2:
Hmmm, my 3w70 has the carb on the bottom like most all twins. Didn't mean to hold out, but I know Kelly. He would go into the closet...again and not come out. :laughing:

Decal Dennis

TEAM EP&G
@Decal Dennis,

Those are just AWESOME ! ! ! ! They are just what the doctor ordered. . . . . :big_yes: You will definitely be hearing from me on Monday. I hate talking shop when you're not at work, but can you do the one that looks like chrome with matching text? My Laser is insignia blue on top and I don't think the black text will show up very well. The entire bottom of my plane is white so the bottoms of the wings need some quite large GSN logo's too.:yesss:

Thank you Sir.

Yep, I can make the text chrome also, but can make it any color you want. Post a strait down pic of the top of the cowl and I'll over lay it so you can see what it would look like.

HRRC Flyer

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Hmmm, my 3w70 has the carb on the bottom like most all twins. Didn't mean to hold out, but I know Kelly. He would go into the closet...again and not come out. :laughing:
Hey Rob,

I'm not doubting you, but is your twin one of the older ones? Or maybe it's an older 3W72 twin or 3W78 twin? The reason I ask is, I have mine sitting here in my lap and the carb is sticking out the back, just like on my 3W55CS and the new 3W70CS twin I had. I'm so confused . . . . . :confused:

Last edited:

HRRC Flyer

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Well Guys,

I went to the flying filed this morning hoping to get a little flying in, but it was a bit too windy. . . :mad: However, all was not lost because I had my Laser with me and my camera. so I pulled the Laser out of the back of the Durango and put it together. It went together easily except the dowel on the front of the right wing panel was a bit too tight. It appears that it does not quite line up with the reinforced hole in the side of the fuse. That's no biggie, it is not off by much so a little careful work with a round wood file and it will OK. Each wing half is bolted to the fuse with two 1/4-20 steel wing bolts. Anyway, I took some pictures to post here, then I took the plane back apart and came home. When I got home I figured I'd go ahead and take the servo's out of the plane so I did that. Then I brought my camera inside to download my pics only to realize that my cable I use to plug he camera into my laptop and download pictures was not in the camera bag. I realized I must have left the cable at the office the last time I used the camera for work. My mom always used to tell me that I would leave my head somewhere, if it wasn't permanently attached . . . . .:lol2:

While I'm typing, I might as well tell you Guy's that I have changed my mind again for the last time (I think). . . . . :oblong: My 55CS is going in the Laser and I'm going to save the twin for my AMR Stick. It will be allot less work for me on the Laser and the twin is better suited for the Stick because it REALLY needs the extra nose weight.

I will be busy tomorrow night so pics are going to have to wait until Tuesday evening. Sorry . . . :face-palm:

Last edited:

HRRC Flyer

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
OK Fella's, I have a question for everyone. Do you think 168oz./in of torque is enough for the aileron servos on my Laser? The ailerons gaps are sealed and the ailerons run the full length of the wing panel which is +/- 45" in length. They taper from 4.5" at the fuse to just over 2.25" at the tip and the servo is right in the middle of the span. The wings are sheeted foam, so relocating the servo is pretty much out of the question. One side of me say's it will be OK since I don't plan on doing 3D with the plane, but the other side of me is a little concerned. So, what do you Guy's think? Am I worrying about nothing? All opinions are welcome.

Thanks

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Hey Rob,

I'm not doubting you, but is your twin one of the older ones? Or maybe it's an older 3W72 twin or 3W78 twin? The reason I ask is, I have mine sitting here in my lap and the carb is sticking out the back, just like on my 3W55CS and the new 3W70CS twin I had. I'm so confused . . . . . :confused:
It is an older one. But a good one for sure. I really need to find something to put it in. Even the more....ah hum, elderly 3 dubs run sweet as heck and smooth as silk.
IMO.....168 in/oz is not enough, better to have more than what's needed then to burn up a servo in flight and you know what happens there:(
I will agree. I think 168 is good for a plane in the 30cc or so class. Probably not bigger than that. Thing that baffles me on servo selection is I've seen so many not take into consideration torque loss with the longer arms to get the throws we strife for. So technically a 168 ounce servo is not delivering 168 ounces...unless you're using a 1" arm. But who does that?
Well Guys,

I went to the flying filed this morning hoping to get a little flying in, but it was a bit too windy. . . :mad: However, all was not lost because I had my Laser with me and my camera. so I pulled the Laser out of the back of the Durango and put it together. It went together easily except the dowel on the front of the right wing panel was a bit too tight. It appears that it does not quite line up with the reinforced hole in the side of the fuse. That's no biggie, it is not off by much so a little careful work with a round wood file and it will OK. Each wing half is bolted to the fuse with two 1/4-20 steel wing bolts. Anyway, I took some pictures to post here, then I took the plane back apart and came home. When I got home I figured I'd go ahead and take the servo's out of the plane so I did that. Then I brought my camera inside to download my pics only to realize that my cable I use to plug he camera into my laptop and download pictures was not in the camera bag. I realized I must have left the cable at the office the last time I used the camera for work. My mom always used to tell me that I would leave my head somewhere, if it wasn't permanently attached . . . . .:lol2:

While I'm typing, I might as well tell you Guy's that I have changed my mind again for the last time (I think). . . . . :oblong: My 55CS is going in the Laser and I'm going to save the twin for my AMR Stick. It will be allot less work for me on the Laser and the twin is better suited for the Stick because it REALLY needs the extra nose weight.

I will be busy tomorrow night so pics are going to have to wait until Tuesday evening. Sorry . . . :face-palm:
I feel your pain David. I just can't believe mother nature sometimes. Does she even care I've been away from my babies all week and all I want is some alone time with them....above me. Oh but nooooo. So freaking windy today it was crazy. Probably around 22 gusting to 27 most of the day. I did get one flight on the Sukhoi though. I figured, by darn I came to fly and I'm not going home without at least one. Lol

HRRC Flyer

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Well Fella's, I may be in trouble now. I'm at the now and office and I cannot find the cable I use to download pics from my camera to my computer. Of course, this means I cannot show you guys the pictures of my Laser until I find it. . . . :face-palm:.

Hey @stangflyer & @Decal Dennis, I know you are right about the aileron servos. I guess I just wanted to hear it from someone who has had more experience with this size plane than myself. Thanks for setting me straight. . . :attaboy:

I did some more investigating on the Laser yesterday and I realized something. I cannot figure out how in the sam h__l the man I bought the Laser from could have installed the throttle and choke servos in the plane. .:eek:. I'm no small individual, but the man has hands that dwarf mine, they are so big. The servos are staggered one behind the other next to the fuel tank with the rear servo a little higher than the front one for clearance. The problem is, the hole in the former is only slightly larger than the fuel tank and with the plywood fuse sides, I cannot figure out how he managed to screw the servos into the rails he installed. I didn't look closely enough, but he had to use allen head screws for everything. Even then, there is not allot of room to get an allen wrench on the screw heads and still be able to turn them. Funnier yet is the two 2000 mAh nickel metal hydride batteries are stacked on top of each other right behind the fire wall with Velcro wrapped tightly around them. They are going to be fun to get out too.

Based on the advice from Rob and Dennis above, it looks like I'm going to be looking for new aileron servos. I just hope my friend who runs the LHS can return the Futaba HV SBUS servos I bought and exchange them for some with higher torque. If not, it looks like the Savox servo option may be back on the table since I can almost buy six Savox servos with over 250 oz./in. of torque each, for less than I can replace the two aileron servos I have. Obviously, I would not use the SBUS receiver either, but I have a few extra receivers so that's no big deal.

The saga continues. . . . . . :laughing:. Stay tuned fellas.