• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

3D Restoring The Yak

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
If I were to guess I'd say I was looking down the hood of a t800. Right?
Yes sir, you are correct. Good ole' truck. I would much sooner drive this girl than a brand new rig. Just something about the "feel" of a real truck and how it handles.
Hey Rob,

Don't take this the wrong way, but you can keep ALL of that white crap up there with you.. . . . . :ugh:. If I never see it again, it won't be too soon. . . .:yesss:
Ha ha...joke is on you pal. I boxed up a huge container of this stuff and I sent it special delivery. You really didn't think I was gonna keep it all to myself did you? :msn_slap:You should know by now how rewarding it is for me to share. :laughing:
Just after Katrina I pulled FEMA trailers from Pendleton Or. to Baton Rouge La. I literally :dancing-poop: my jeans when tiny hatchback cars went flying around me while up in the Blue Mountains. No guard rails.......just a steep sheer drop of to :devil:. Got to totally respect ya Rob! I'm so glad I do not have to do that. And I thought combat was dangerous:rolleyes:.
Thanks Kelly. And to think, (though you can't see it) this is a downgrade through the forest. Doah....
I once had a woman stop in the center lane of the three north bound lanes of a six lane road and get out and scrape her windows during rush hour. You wonder how someone that dumb can function in life.
Yeah, don't know about you but I catch myself wondering...if the parents of these people are ashamed for producing children with no live brain cells. :lol2:

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Since I will not be working on the Yak for a couple of days, I wanted to at least post a photo of the bad ass graphics that is on the way from Eric at B&E. Not zactley like the stock from Pilot, but I think they're going to look awesome. Thanks Eric for all the help and for the design work.
yak-54-custom.jpg

dhal22

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
I fly a Yak and generally do not like the standard Yak logo. This, however, looks pretty good. I like it, might have to be me a couple of those.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Christmas with my kids and grandsons today. Tomorrow I will enjoy a little down time and a little relaxation. Which for me will be doing some work on the Yak. I removed the tape from the cut out on the lower portion of the rudder where I installed the balsa block for the control horns. Heck, it turned out pretty good. There will be minimal sanding with a slight amount of filler needed to make that area glass smooth. That will be the task tomorrow. Finish up the rudder and get it covered up. Then on to the left stab and elevator. I might even have time this weekend to get the main wings stripped, prepped and ready for covering. She's coming along nicely and getting even closer to that four hole red headed power plant of pure awesomeness.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Hey Rob,

Why do I get the feeling you started at the wrong end of this thing? . . . . :yesss:

Merry Christmas to you, Shane and everyone.
Naaa.... either end is good. I did this for a couple of reasons pal. 1, everyone always does the front first. I've done the front first. I decided to do the back first this time. It's just as important to see where ya been, as it is where you're going. 2, I'm saving the best for last. You know? Keeping ya'll enticed and drooling? Once you have eaten the scrumptious Bunny Tracks ice cream, ya don't crave it any longer, right? Besides, I'm not sure I can handle 4 "red heads" all at the same time. Hmmm..thinking of aaaaall the possibilities. :devil-dance::spongebob:
Merry Christmas to you as well my friend. The best to you and all your family. Wishing you and everyone here at our home within a home Giant Scale News a very Merry Christmas and a Happy and prosperous New Year.:way_to_go:

Last edited:

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
I had one of the greatest Christmas's in a long time. After spending yesterday with my kids and grandsons due to work and other obligations, that left my entire day today to my little ole lonesome. It was pretty nice though. I spent the whole day with a certain very large Yak. I jumped in first thing this morning and started getting more of that pesky covering done. I have to say, I have a new found respect for all those that do the covering of these big planes. I am not so sure I want to do another one any time soon. It amazes me how the factories can pump them out one right after another. This scheme is much prettier than I imagined, but a lot of work.

After I did a final sanding of the opened up area where I put the backer block in to support the control horns, it was time to heat up the iron and get after the covering. The outline of where I marked the cutout is very apparent, however after the sanding...it is as smooth as a babies behind.

20151225_131809.jpg

After I blew away the residual sanding dust, I used my favorite cleaner on clean dry towlets. I have used tack cloths in the past, but lately I have been using this glass cleaner. It has no strange additives nor cleaners that impede the adhesion of covering. Plus it really sucks up any sanding dust that is left behind.

20151225_133453.jpg

Once I was confident the rudder was clean... and dry, I started with the base white coat of covering. I was anxious to see just how well my repairs came out. Oh, and remember back a few posts where I did the rudder repair up top from being grabbed and crushed? That too was on my mind. I just hoped it was all going to look good under covering. Though it all felt and looked good before hand, like a coat of paint, covering shows every imperfection and flaw.

20151225_143417.jpg 20151225_143430.jpg 20151225_143444.jpg 20151225_143645.jpg 20151225_143714.jpg 20151225_153310.jpg

Needless to say, I was quite pleased and somewhat shocked at how well the repairs came out. Smooth to the touch and quite hidden. Next, time for some accent colors.

20151225_184305.jpg
20151225_194901.jpg

It took me pretty much all day to get to this point. But well worth it. Pardon the mess in my covering/living room. The big Yak takes up a lot of room and things get cluttered quite quickly.

20151225_203930.jpg
20151225_203955.jpg
20151226_000058.jpg
20151226_000134.jpg

I am really getting excited now. This monster is really turning out quite impressive. Colors are bold, scheme is really different from other planes I have had. I can't wait to get the rest of it covered and do a mock assembly just to get an idea of how she is going to look.

Tomorrow I will get the left stab/elevator covered along with the forward hatch cover. Perhaps Sunday, I will start on the wings. I am really looking forward to getting the decals from B & E. They will dress this plane up really great. I also received with my 34x12 Falcon from North West RC, some very nice decals. I have to thank @SupaTim for those. @Spats also sent me a couple of his personal logos. Not sure where I want to put them, but pretty sure they too will look just as nice. My thanks to both my pals for the decals.

Stay tuned.... The Behemoth Yakster is getting closer by the day. Not sure if I will be done doing the covering on this before my son @Shayne Epley is done doing the recover on his 43% Edge. It's going to be lots of fun having essentially two BIG NEW planes to maiden in a couple of months.