• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Share your Trailer Ideas Here

mndless

Don't know a thing..
Has anyone installed an alarm system? I'm looking for a basic system with 2 sensors for the rear and side doors and a siren. I don't need all that fancy paging, remote start stuff... Now that I finally got around to setting mine up, I'm definitely going to have to protect everything in it.

I'm installing an alarm in my trailer... it is a motion activated alarm angled to pick up the rear door and side door. Very loud siren and it has a wireless feature that talks to a receiver inside the house or hotel room, to let me know if the outside trailer alarm is going off. I'll post some pictures when I get this installed. All of the parts are probably less than $25.00 or so.

Bipenut

70cc twin V2
I'm installing an alarm in my trailer... it is a motion activated alarm angled to pick up the rear door and side door. Very loud siren and it has a wireless feature that talks to a receiver inside the house or hotel room, to let me know if the outside trailer alarm is going off. I'll post some pictures when I get this installed. All of the parts are probably less than $25.00 or so.

I would be interested in seeing your parts list and setup.

mndless

Don't know a thing..
I'll put together a rough list. This is an alarm system I cobbled together and even went so far as to learn how to design circuit boards... fun project and simple to make... since I can upload my own code, it is infinitely configurable.. Again, I'll put together a material list, not much to it.

1.jpg

mndless

Don't know a thing..
This is really a very simple system... I played with it for about a year to get it to work like I want it to...

Starts with a very affordable motion sensor I buy off ebay... about $1.00 each
http://www.ebay.com/itm/170896482447?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

The siren if very loud... just a fancy low voltage siren I get off ebay, about $2.50 each or so
http://www.ebay.com/itm/KDQ14-Mini-...534?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43cd307bce

The key feature is this little transceiver, radio RFM12B... this thing allows you to send a signal to a monitor inside the house or hotel. Only has a range of 100 yards or so... low power module. You can pick these up closer to $5.00 on occasion. Again, I like this as you can carry a monitor with you when out of town. Anybody messes with the trailer in the hotel parking lot, you'll know about it.
https://www.sparkfun.com/products/12031

You need an arduino chip ($5.00) and a 28 pin dip socket and a handfull of resistors and capcitors, LED's (maybe another $5.00) and the circuit boards I have put together. I order the boards from this place in China (of course), where I can order small quantities... they can manufacture these and ship them to me inside of a couple of weeks... pretty crazy. The boards are probably $6.00 or so in small batches... this stuff and a little time to solder it up (some electronic solding experience required)...

So that adds up to around $25.00 per alarm... the receiver/monitor is a good bit less... less parts.... and, the radio and monitor is optional. You can just put the alarm together without the radio and monitoring feature...

I just started working on the cabinets in my new trailer, so, it will be a little while before I can post any installed pictures.... couple of weeks.