• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Share your Trailer Ideas Here

mjg0808

50cc
Ok so it's been a long , long time since I've hooked up a car stereo and I'm having a problem. I have a new head unit and can't get the thing to power up. I have the yellow(constant) wired directly to my batteries and the red wire to a fuse coming from my converter. Both show the proper volts but nothing is lighting up. I know the red is supposed to be for ignition but how does that work when it's coming from it's own power supply with no ignition? It's probably simple but after working all day and trying to do this... it's starting to get me just a little bit crazy... Any suggestions. Oh, and I have it grounded to the batteies as of now. I had it grounded to the frame and to a terminal strip and still nothing... GRRRRRRR

Bipeguy03

150cc
What do you have the converter for? Is it a 24 volt system? And I'm sure you already have but check the fuse.

As a way to trouble shoot, hook the power wire directly to the battery's positive terminal and the ground to the negative terminal (if it is just a 12v battery) If nothing else it will give you and indication of where to start looking for the problem.

Also, I don't think you need the memory wire if you are hooking it directly to a power source. In a car the power wire comes from the ignition which shuts off when you shut the car off, so it needs a memory wire in order to keep all of your settings from going back to default. I don't think this is your problem, but it could be one less wire you have to worry about.

mjg0808

50cc
The converter is for my shore power from the house and from my generator. It charges the batteries and has up to 7 AC breakers and 12 DC breakers. It's nice to have. I also have an inverter hooked to the system so when I'm at the field, I can run on my batteries. I have 2 6 volt batteries in series. I tried hooking up everything directly to the batteries and it's not working. The radio is brand new. I checked the fuses and the fuse that's in the unit and they're good. I tried hooking both red and yellow to power and separately. It's killing me!!!!

Bipeguy03

150cc
I'm not an electrical expert by any means, but if you hooked the head directly to your 12 volts and it didn't turn on, I'd say the head is no good, or possibly the connector block for the head is wired wrong. If it's getting power in and the ground is correct it should come on.

Sorry I can't be more help!!! :(

mjg0808

50cc
Thanks Bipeguy. I'm done for the night. I'm too frustrated. I'll give it a try on a good night's rest and see what happens tomorrow. If it still doesn't work, back to Best Buy it is!!

mjg0808

50cc
Returned the old one and got a new one....works like a charm!! One less this to worry about and one step closer to being finished.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bipeguy03

150cc
Fingers crossed for me, the dealer I bought mine from takes deliveries on Friday, if it don't come its another week of waiting for me!! Lol