• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Some assistance needed, 40% Yak 54

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
Lol...not hardly. Just got the plane. I'm going to do a complete strip down of the covering. Do a little clean up then hopefully...reproduce the scheme. Pretty sure it will be spring before she maidens.

Rob....I know I'm pathetic....BUT......Maybe.....Just Maybe......I will have the 330sc done before you get your Yak done:laughing:.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
So here I have been siting for the last four or so hours reading and searching and searching and reading. Looking for information on the Yak. I finally found the information...Some of you probably knew this. I did not. It turns out the scheme on the Yak is actually a Mark Leseberg design. It seems that Randy, @Spats is correct on the colors. Thanks Randy. I also got to wondering how I could duplicate this scheme once it is completely striped down to the bones. I got to thinking.... If one can remove a huge "Edge 540" decal from a certain 50% Hempel using the heat gun method, why then could he not use the same procedure of lifting the checkers for re-duplication. Eureka.....it worked.

I layed down clear 3M strapping tape over the checkers on the stab to start. Just experimenting really. Grabbed my heat gun and gently warmed the tape/yellow checkers while gently lifting the tape, the checkers came straight up. Occasionally I had to start a corner of the checkers, but it was pretty much a breeze to get them up. Now I know how I am going to duplicate the scheme in exacting detail without having to go through a bunch of hassle.

I have a few projects to get out of the way, but once they are done I am going to do a "Strip and recover the Yak" thread. It will definitely be a work in progress as there are a number of months till next spring. Which will give me plenty of time to strip, clean up and recover the plane. Then install components. I read an entire thread on the other site that a gentleman did on his way back in late '07 to early '08. He wanted to put it on an extreme diet. Hard to believe but he and Sensei brought this beast in at a whopping 36 pounds. ALL UP AND READY TO FLY. Can you believe that?!?! A 129" 40% Yak weighing in at just 36 pounds. WOW! Anyway, I don't plan to shave any weight so to speak of. Maybe a little bit here or there. I am not worried about shedding too much weight as this plane should come in around 43'ish pounds. With the big 3dub 210 or possibly a four cylinder up front, it will still float like a butterfly and will have "GOBS" of power. But mostly just checking joints, cleaning up previous owner install and getting it back to "NEW" condition. I hope to have it ready to maiden when the Spring weather arrives.

Here's a prelude to the start. Once the plane is completely recovered, I will lay down my taped template on new covering, cut out the checkers and reapply them in the same position. May be time consuming, but hey...what a way to spend a winter right?

MORE TO COME.

20151010_005919.jpg
20151010_005941.jpg