• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Tail Wheel Steering, Springs vs Fuel Tubing or other setups

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
So guys, I have a real nemesis that annoys the crap outta me, so I am looking for input. Here's the deal. On all my more recent gassers, I've been setting the tail wheel steering up with the springs that are usually supplied with the kit/arf. Some work...uh...ok I suppose. Others work like "CRAP". Recently I had to change my tail wheel bracket on my 260 as the bracket separated between layers. (Carbon Fiber). Is there a "REAL" full proof way of getting more "positive" control over the tail wheel steering other than using springs? I have seen setups where some are using fuel tubing with zip ties. Others I have seen use a direct drive system where the tail wheel is steered by means of a steering rod stuffed into the rudder. I've also seen a couple of setups where pushrods are directly hooked up to the rudder servo control rods. I really don't want this setup as I am thinking that puts a lot of stress on the rudder servos, right? I've used the steering rod into the rudder set up years ago on my smaller glow planes. It works pretty well, but being so ANAL about clean and completely functional, I am looking for an approach that not only looks really clean but works awesome. Ideas everyone please? Pictures would be awesome too. Thanks everyone....

IMAC FANATIC

40% happier than most folks.
The biggest part to the tail wheel springs is the geometry, the tail wheel horn and bracket that drive it need to be equal lenght to be driven equally, I use those double springs and tiny chains to keep a scale look, no pics of it on my phone, ill try to remember tomorrow.  Sadly, I notice the cheapo method of fuel tube and ties to be the most effective for steering, just looks terrible to me.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
IMAC FANATIC said
The biggest part to the tail wheel springs is the geometry, the tail wheel horn and bracket that drive it need to be equal lenght to be driven equally, I use those double springs and tiny chains to keep a scale look, no pics of it on my phone, ill try to remember tomorrow.  Sadly, I notice the cheapo method of fuel tube and ties to be the most effective for steering, just looks terrible to me.
Thank you IMAC FANATIC... I agree with the fuel tubing. I think I have nice little chain...May give that a shot. If you get time, the pics would be great. Don't put yourself out though...Thanks again.

Pistolera

HEY!..GET OUTTA MY TREE!
I like the compression spring setups....good positive steering, protects servos from bump loads and scale looks.  You can buy the spring kits or make your own from some music wire and springs from the hardware store.

These are home-made ones on my 42% Raven.  Also the connectors are items from Gander Mountain fishing dept.  Work great and last a long time.

Tail-wheel-1.jpg

Tail-wheel-connectors-1.jpg

IMAC FANATIC

Heres a shot of the tail wheel and tiller, tiller was hand made and polished aluminium and the tail wheel brackets were made for the JnJ arm. No hardware yet on this one. 
20140731_235858.jpg

20140731_233508.jpg

20140731_235828.jpg

i like pistolero's set up. never thought to use the fishing line rigs!

I can also see Brians set up!! looks nice man!!

IMAC FANATIC

Thankee sir,  trying to remember where the stainless chain came from, mc master- carr most likely, havent made it off the coucj to go take a pic...GO BROWNS !!! 

IMAC FANATIC

Heres the chains, OSH off a bulk roll. Small split rings attach them. Tiny bit loose in this pic but its been adjusted since. Awesome scale look and still very light,  lighter than tubing believe it or not.  BTW the Krill Sukhoi this is attached to is for sale now.  Belongs to Dave.
IMG_4624.jpg

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
IMAC FANATIC said
Heres the chains, OSH off a bulk roll. Small split rings attach them. Tiny bit loose in this pic but its been adjusted since. Awesome scale look and still very light,  lighter than tubing believe it or not.  BTW the Krill Sukhoi this is attached to is for sale now.  Belongs to Dave.
IMG_4624.jpg
Stopped by a tackle shop today. They really didn't have anything like Pistolera has. They did however have some "Trolling Snubbers". They even had them in Orange to match the covering on the Sukhoi. I thought, "Hmm...that would look kinda cool". But then realized, they look too much like colored fuel tubing. LOL.... I like your idea Brian. The springs should be too hard to acquire. As for the little chain? That should be easily found as well. Guess I will attempt TWO setups like this. Thanks guys for the suggestions and input.

IMAC FANATIC

Found all these items at orchard supply hardware, ace probably has it too. JnJ has the double springs I believe, post some pics when your done, like to see what you end up doing, and your welcome.