• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Tail Wheel Steering, Springs vs Fuel Tubing or other setups

IMAC FANATIC

40% happier than most folks.
Stay away from the light Terry.... dont go towards the fuel lines. ( a la movie poltergeist)  LoL.  Maybe just a pet peeve of mine but I dont like fuel lines and zip ties on the outside of an airplane, to each his own and ive almost succumbed to the ways of the silicone before finding the rings and chains , once set ive never needed to maintenance a single link, but ive seen plenty of folk re doing a tubing assembly after finding themselves outside the runway lines.that said, it would be easier to repair when needed. Pros and cons. Cool subject, thanks for starting the thread, always interesting to see different takes/opinions on what we do.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
winking-thumbs-up-smiley-emoticon.gif

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
IMAC-FANATIC said
Stay away from the light Terry.... dont go towards the fuel lines. 
Yea yea, but the problem I'm finding on my most used and abused birds is that after tons of flights with rollers and tail dragging is the springs are getting saggy and sloppy.      Nobody likes saggy and sloppy, so I'm thinking silicone tube would work.     Wait.............um, well that almost sounds like a campfire Huckfest discussion!      What were we talking about again?

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Terryscustom said
IMAC-FANATIC said
Stay away from the light Terry.... dont go towards the fuel lines. 

Yea yea, but the problem I'm finding on my most used and abused birds is that after tons of flights with rollers and tail dragging is the springs are getting saggy and sloppy.      Nobody likes saggy and sloppy, so I'm thinking silicone tube would work.     Wait.............um, well that almost sounds like a campfire Huckfest discussion!      What were we talking about again?
laughing.gif

IMAC FANATIC

40% happier than most folks.
Soggy, sloppy , silicone, tube...  what ARE we talking about here  LoL.  

Hey, the way I see it, if its less work after all the work done to get em flying.. keep em flying !  Go with it, nust post some pics so we can se what you end up with. Please. 

Im still trying to find or make the right turnbuckle, attachment to perfect the system I use, and strangeflyer, you have me interested with the fool proof solution, dont keep me in suspense,  whatcha brewing up ? 

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
The_Wreck said
Handy Diagram posted on the bottom of our page for easy fuel tubing setup using only zipties and fuel tubing.

Fuel-Tubing-Tailwheel-Springs.jpg
That's how I did the rudder end of mine and on the steering arm side I made a loop through the end of a wire tie like your doing a rudder cable. I used braided fishing line at first, but the thin arm sawed through it so I replaces it with rudder cable.

Kind of hard to see in this picture.
TailWheel-Closeup.jpg

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
IMAC-FANATIC said
Soggy, sloppy , silicone, tube...  what ARE we talking about here  LoL.  

Hey, the way I see it, if its less work after all the work done to get em flying.. keep em flying !  Go with it, nust post some pics so we can se what you end up with. Please. 

Im still trying to find or make the right turnbuckle, attachment to perfect the system I use, and strangeflyer, you have me interested with the fool proof solution, dont keep me in suspense,  whatcha brewing up ? 
Here are a couple of pictures of a friends own design and manufacturing skills. Full proof? Did I say that? Hmmm.....somebody kick me. Is there really "ANYTHING" that is full proof? In all seriousness, I plan to revise these just a smidgen. With the owners permission of course. Took the 260 out today for a few laps after her....ummm, slight disengagement with the air in the most inopportune attitude and timing. Everything was great...flying was awesome, as usual. But upon landing each time, I discovered....I "REALLY HATE SPRING STEERTING".....Argh....so, in the process of designing a full (HA) proof system of steering.

tail-gear-steering-one.jpg

tail-gear-steering-two.jpg

Will post pictures of completed assembly. Course there is always the "FULL SCALE" Extra way.