• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

The 3DRCForums -Discuss Anything Thread-

dth7

3DRCF Regional Ambassador
Did a lot of IMAC this year considering we did 9 contests... and that is a lot of fun. Probably doing Sportsman a while again next year. Lots of camping, learning and of course flying. Once you get to know everyone, it's even better. If you only do one contest that's cool to get to know what it's like. Bottom line, it's likely that even if you only do one contest, it will help your flying.

Agreed! Wow 9! That's a lot.

Yeah, done some travelling. We started in the Southeast before Nall, did Nall and the FLIE, and just finished at the Eastern Region Qualifier for the World Championship which is going down next year at Muncie. Back to chillin, buildin and flyin at the home fields close to home.

But, the IMAC events, with knowns and unknowns and freestyle; although it's a long weekend sometimes, it's a good experience. Gives you time to get to know your skills, your fellow pilots and if you do it right, you have a real good time.

dth7

Yeah, done some travelling. We started in the Southeast before Nall, did Nall and the FLIE, and just finished at the Eastern Region Qualifier for the World Championship which is going down next year at Muncie. Back to chillin, buildin and flyin at the home fields close to home.

But, the IMAC events, with knowns and unknowns and freestyle; although it's a long weekend sometimes, it's a good experience. Gives you time to get to know your skills, your fellow pilots and if you do it right, you have a real good time.

Our NH boys did a good job! Cody was excited. Haven't spoken to Tyler but I'm sure he's psyched too.
I've enjoyed getting some "senior" guys into precision and IMAC flying. It can only make your flying better IMO and is an excellent foundation for 3D and extreme acro. It's one thing to do a great trick but to enter it and exit it accurately and repeat it really shows skill rather than luck. Just simple lines elude many modelers. It's fun to watch as they start flying much more controlled and precisely.

What are you using for IMAC? What category are you flying?
I just did my first comp this summer in Basic with my 78 EF Extra. May move to Sportsman next year. I'll start practicing both soon. I'd love to put a freestyle together. Working on that too. Not easy!

Last edited by a moderator:
I really gotta get my daughter her first airplane!

What does Aaron want to be when he grows up?
To Gary:
Aaron wants to be a pilot (surprise)! Commercial airline likely but we will see. He's not into the military aspect o being a pilot yet. His grandfather said fly something that doesn't get shot at and he is a colonel in the Army, so, I get where he is coming from in trying to protect his grandson. I think the military has a lot of value but doubt Aaron can have long hair flying planes in the military so that's likely out. With no military training, it will be expensive but we are committed and we'll take it however slow we have to and get it done. At some point soon he can start ground school near home here at Brett Aviation. Maybe that will happen next summer but there wee so many contests this year that it would be hard to squeeze in training on top of it all. He practices on Microsoft X Plane 9 simulator every day. He is flying all sort of commercial planes from city to city, finding all kinds of small airports to try to land large planes on LOL. He also flies his 3D every day on G6.5 too of course. When we were at the FLIE that guy Walt was there that was a commercial pilot for a long time. He kinda sounded sour on Aaron going the commercial path because of the diminishing pay and hours and other issues. So, who knows but it will for sure be sitting in a pilots seat doing aviation. We have been thinking about relocating to Virginia because they have a magnet high school for aviation skills there. I (Dad) really want to do everything we can to get the most aviation into Aaron that we can in these years that fly by so fast. At the IMAC World qualifier a couple weeks back we had the privelege of meeeting John Shroder and Mrs Tina. We were hoping Aaron's grades stay up and that he will start heading to Clover Creek a week or so each year to train on IMAC pattern flying prior to Nats and stuff. If any of you hear of any good aviation schools, training (RC or Full), please let us know. Thanks for asking and for listening! It means a lot to be able to share. - Erik and Aaron

What are you using for IMAC? What category are you flying?
I just did my first comp this summer in Basic with my 78 EF Extra. May move to Sportsman next year. I'll start practicing both soon. I'd love to put a freestyle together. Working on that too. Not easy!

This year, Sportsman flew an EF 104" Extra w/ DA120 on pipes and BLS157s all around.
Next year, 118" Carden - picking it up soon. Likely start in Sportsman again for at least a while.
2014 knowns are out now
If they never had freestyle, Aaron would never ever have gone to any contest whatsoever...

dth7

This year, Sportsman flew an EF 104" Extra w/ DA120 on pipes and BLS157s all around.
Next year, 118" Carden - picking it up soon. Likely start in Sportsman again for at least a while.
2014 knowns are out now
If they never had freestyle, Aaron would never ever have gone to any contest whatsoever...

I've made an agreement to hold my fleet size at my vehicle limit for now. I love the 78 for an all around frame and ease of transport in my Outback. I'd love a 104 but not now. I'm settling in on 60" electric for fun n practice, 78 for competition and fun and practice of course. It's my first gas and I'm all in on gas for sure. I have a glider and a couple EDFs for fun too.
Freestyle- yes! I hope the IMAC community will see the light and wisdom in expanding freestyle to include categories rather than just being "entertainment". To get the kids and keep the older kids (us!) I feel this is a natural progression. I'm a huge advocate of precision flying for ALL disciplines and its time to recognize 3D and extreme aerobatics as a "real" part of this hobby. After all, you can watch Skip, Rob and others on the Airshow and IAC circuit doing 3 D maneuvers. The old argument that "it's not really flying" is hogwash. A tumble entered precisely on a mark and exited on a heading and attitude is a precision maneuver. I'll stop! Could go on.
Heck, have any nay sayer watch Cody's latest 60" Laser vid and tell me that isn't precision flying. I think we're getting into that "I can't do it therefore it must not be legit" argument and we know how well that floats- not!
I have the 2014 sequences. Waiting for Bill James to put them in the IMAC iPhone app. Do you have that? It's great! IMAC Pro

gyro

GSN Contributor
To Gary:
Aaron wants to be a pilot (surprise)! Commercial airline likely but we will see. He's not into the military aspect o being a pilot yet. His grandfather said fly something that doesn't get shot at and he is a colonel in the Army, so, I get where he is coming from in trying to protect his grandson. I think the military has a lot of value but doubt Aaron can have long hair flying planes in the military so that's likely out. With no military training, it will be expensive but we are committed and we'll take it however slow we have to and get it done. At some point soon he can start ground school near home here at Brett Aviation. Maybe that will happen next summer but there wee so many contests this year that it would be hard to squeeze in training on top of it all. He practices on Microsoft X Plane 9 simulator every day. He is flying all sort of commercial planes from city to city, finding all kinds of small airports to try to land large planes on LOL. He also flies his 3D every day on G6.5 too of course. When we were at the FLIE that guy Walt was there that was a commercial pilot for a long time. He kinda sounded sour on Aaron going the commercial path because of the diminishing pay and hours and other issues. So, who knows but it will for sure be sitting in a pilots seat doing aviation. We have been thinking about relocating to Virginia because they have a magnet high school for aviation skills there. I (Dad) really want to do everything we can to get the most aviation into Aaron that we can in these years that fly by so fast. At the IMAC World qualifier a couple weeks back we had the privelege of meeeting John Shroder and Mrs Tina. We were hoping Aaron's grades stay up and that he will start heading to Clover Creek a week or so each year to train on IMAC pattern flying prior to Nats and stuff. If any of you hear of any good aviation schools, training (RC or Full), please let us know. Thanks for asking and for listening! It means a lot to be able to share. - Erik and Aaron

Well, nothing wrong with either route. I did something of a hybrid, using my GI Bill military benefits to pay for college and my PPL, then going to USAF pilot training and setting off on that adventure (still going).

Another option not as many people consider is the Air National Guard. Much less of a military commitment, excellent training, and you can fly for the mil and airlines!

Wish Aaron the best of luck on his adventure! I got bit at 10 when Top Gun came out ;)