• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

The 3DRCForums -Discuss Anything Thread-

dth7

3DRCF Regional Ambassador
Well, nothing wrong with either route. I did something of a hybrid, using my GI Bill military benefits to pay for college and my PPL, then going to USAF pilot training and setting off on that adventure (still going).

Another option not as many people consider is the Air National Guard. Much less of a military commitment, excellent training, and you can fly for the mil and airlines!

Wish Aaron the best of luck on his adventure! I got bit at 10 when Top Gun came out ;)

Erik, I'm a civilian trained airline pilot and my wife is civilian and military trained. I taught aerobatics along the way (to her at one point!!), hence the love of aerobatics, precision, IMAC and 3D! Cheaper than owning or renting an Extra! If you guys have questions pm me and I'll do my best to give Aaron some insight.

Brilliant responses from you both and we do very much appreciate it. I will try to ask questions as they arise via PM. Somehow we learn best when doing what we like and for Aaron, he likes flying. So, when doing math, we put it all in terms of flying for instance. It makes everything "click."

Very happy to have landed into this great community and to have discovered the interest for flying with my son. He lead the way at first and now it's a collaborative thing. He was very natural at the sticks and you can see that he is still improving quickly. We have made a lot of dear friends in a short time. Nothing, and I mean nothing, is better or more important than flying. It's what we do and why we are here.

dskuro95

100cc
I am currently in my first semester of college for Aviation Flight Technology. I as well spoke to Walt about my route and he said the same thing. I planned o being a commercial pilot as well. But then in my first couple weeks of class my mind changed. Listening to both my professor and the guy who runs the airport nearby(class B airspace), really changed my decision. The man spoke for 2 hours about really interesting careers in aviation. Of course, money is the #1 thing. I think I decided I want to do somethign with ATC(Air Traffic Control). While I will not be flying commercial airliners for companies like South West, etc, I ca still fly commercially if I choose too. I could do charity flights for cancer patients, tow banners, fly coporate business men, etc on the side. Luckily Arron is still young and he has a lot of time to think about what he wants to do. If either you or Arron has any questions, feel free to ask me and if I dont know I can text my professor. He is always more then willing to help answer any questions. Or ask Gary, as this is something he is currently doing.
To Gary:
Aaron wants to be a pilot (surprise)! Commercial airline likely but we will see. He's not into the military aspect o being a pilot yet. His grandfather said fly something that doesn't get shot at and he is a colonel in the Army, so, I get where he is coming from in trying to protect his grandson. I think the military has a lot of value but doubt Aaron can have long hair flying planes in the military so that's likely out. With no military training, it will be expensive but we are committed and we'll take it however slow we have to and get it done. At some point soon he can start ground school near home here at Brett Aviation. Maybe that will happen next summer but there wee so many contests this year that it would be hard to squeeze in training on top of it all. He practices on Microsoft X Plane 9 simulator every day. He is flying all sort of commercial planes from city to city, finding all kinds of small airports to try to land large planes on LOL. He also flies his 3D every day on G6.5 too of course. When we were at the FLIE that guy Walt was there that was a commercial pilot for a long time. He kinda sounded sour on Aaron going the commercial path because of the diminishing pay and hours and other issues. So, who knows but it will for sure be sitting in a pilots seat doing aviation. We have been thinking about relocating to Virginia because they have a magnet high school for aviation skills there. I (Dad) really want to do everything we can to get the most aviation into Aaron that we can in these years that fly by so fast. At the IMAC World qualifier a couple weeks back we had the privelege of meeeting John Shroder and Mrs Tina. We were hoping Aaron's grades stay up and that he will start heading to Clover Creek a week or so each year to train on IMAC pattern flying prior to Nats and stuff. If any of you hear of any good aviation schools, training (RC or Full), please let us know. Thanks for asking and for listening! It means a lot to be able to share. - Erik and Aaron

dth7

Guys, the points all these individuals are making is that aviation has a wide variety of careers within the industry. As far as the airlines, I'm a poster child for the cyclical nature of it. In 24 yrs (starting at a regional carrier) I've worn six uniforms and been furloughed twice and been ahead of the sinking ship of one bankruptcy, flown through a bankruptcy and survived fairly well through a successful merger. I consider my path a lucky one compared to some of my contemporaries. Timing is everything and getting a seniority number at the right time is very valuable. There are many more hats than a pilot hat in the industry. However, my office ain't so bad.
Good luck to all of you who are interested and don't get discouraged by some who view their experience as sour or may perceive what they used to do as something less. You make your time and your experience, don't let someone else make it for you. Have a plan, a backup plan and a fall back plan and follow your dreams.
Good luck. Pm me if you have questions.
Daren

dth7

Pardon me while I digress...
LET'S GO RED SOX!
Woohoo!
World Champs!

Last edited by a moderator:

dskuro95

100cc
Picture1.jpgGary, remember this? I wish it was all this simple