• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

The 3DRCForums -Discuss Anything Thread-

Xpress

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
I'd rather be called an e-tard and use an electric setup than futz with any slimer ever again in an airplane. No more patience for it I guess. But to each his own, rock what you got!

clarkj

70cc twin V2
Ive had the 100 115 180 & 220. Never had a problem with any of them. I will agree they make a mess. Im just not an electric kind of guy on anything that size.

3dNater

3DRCF Regional Ambassador
I left glow behind because of the mess, the cost, and the inconvenience of hauling around all the supporting equipment. I never hated the engines themselves and I love the smell. It was just the associated issues that were enough for me to get away from it.

I do love the convenience of electric power if you have an effective and efficient charging station and enough packs to keep yourself flying as long as you want to. Unfortunately my current charging station is not efficient time-wise for anything over 4s 3000 packs as it is limited to 150 watts. If I ever get a 30cc or larger electric I will invest in a more powerful charging sytsem.

clarkj

70cc twin V2
I had a beast 60e and charging was my problem too. I ran 6s 5000 packs. Batteries were $80 a piece and to charge at 1c it took too long for a 6 min flight

Xpress

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Unfortunately my current charging station is not efficient time-wise for anything over 4s 3000 packs as it is limited to 150 watts.

Well for a 150 watt charger you should be able to charge UP to 9 amps for a 4 cell pack. So charging your 4s 3200 pack at 2c (6.4 amps) would yield a charge time just under half an hour.

But if you have a bigger battery it would definitely take some time.

3dNater

3DRCF Regional Ambassador
Well for a 150 watt charger you should be able to charge UP to 9 amps for a 4 cell pack. So charging your 4s 3200 pack at 2c (6.4 amps) would yield a charge time just under half an hour.

But if you have a bigger battery it would definitely take some time.

Amps maxed out... but charging in parallel up to 6 packs. Right now I am not really flying anything electric besides my CY foamy. My 48 edge and 51 slick are both RIP and I am more interested in big planes than replacing those ones right now. That being said... if I found a good deal on a 51 slick or the new AJ 53 laser I'd be real tempted.

YellowJacketsRC

70cc twin V2
I bought a PowerLab 8 for charging. Then went to Ebay for 2 Dell computer server power supplies for about $35 shipped. I wired them together to produce 24 volts. I can now generate 40 amps of charging power and can charge 6 3750, 6s packs in a matter of minutes!