• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Discussion The I’m going out flying thread 2018

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Well after the 7th flight I made a minor mistake and the 20cc Edge is no more, doing a backwards knife edge figure 8 I pulled instead pushed. And that was it into the been field. But It was still a good day at the field. Broke some minor things destroyed one servo, muffler, fuselage and spark plug and the cap, also broke off the choke arm that’s all I can see right now. Will take a better look at the engine tomorrow and see what all I have to order to get things back up to snuff.
This is the fuselage hung up out of the way for the meantime. It will not be rebuilt. Just thinking if I should remove the rudder and stabilizer for a future project.
View attachment 104782
Dang it. I hate seeing things like this. I guess if you're going to play, sometime you're going to have to pay huh? Sorry Snoops....:concern:

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Oh my goodness, will you look at this?

15334751420338441911880994360048.jpg

No wind, clear blue skies and the field to myself for a few. Surely the temperature is bound to come up to around 90 today. But for now, it's all about some Twisted Edge and Baby Yak flyin' for me. Ah yeah!

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Sooo...flight report on the Twisted Edge, fun fun fun.

20180805_075000.jpg

Who said foam can't be fun? Lol

The Baby Yak on the other hand...

20180805_074929.jpg

The plane flies good. But I think it could be sooo much better. The DLE 61 is a decent and reliable motor. But just way too anemic at best for this plane. I swapped out the canister exhaust for the wrap around Pitts. Swapped the Falcon 24x9 for a Falcon 23x8. Oh sure, it will spin the smaller prop up to nearly 7200 rpm. And the throttle response is greatly improved. But just no advantage in the air over the 24x9. I bought the mighty dub 85cs to get outta this plane what I know it is capable of. But then I second guessed myself due to the extra weight. The 61 weighs in at a scant 3 and a half'ish pounds. Or there abouts. The 85 tips the scales at a little over 5. So do I add the extra weight to get this bird to come to life? Keep in mind I'll have to add weight to the tail or move my flight packs to the far rear to get it to balance. Or do I just use this plane to poke holes in the sky...blah-ick!? And find a suitable warbird for the 85? Or do I just break down and hide my head in shame from all my gorgeous redheads and buy a DA 70? The alternative would be bite the bullet and hack the firewall to splinters to fit a dub 70cs? Hell, I was going to have to hack it for the 85. Sooo, why not? I mean I love this plane. But I just can't do lethargic and lazy!

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp

View attachment 104798

View attachment 104799

The plane flies good. But I think it could be sooo much better. The DLE 61 is a decent and reliable motor. But just way too anemic at best for this plane. I swapped out the canister exhaust for the wrap around Pitts. Swapped the Falcon 24x9 for a Falcon 23x8. Oh sure, it will spin the smaller prop up to nearly 7200 rpm. And the throttle response is greatly improved. But just no advantage in the air over the 24x9. I bought the mighty dub 85cs to get outta this plane what I know it is capable of. But then I second guessed myself due to the extra weight. The 61 weighs in at a scant 3 and a half'ish pounds. Or there abouts. The 85 tips the scales at a little over 5. So do I add the extra weight to get this bird to come to life? Keep in mind I'll have to add weight to the tail or move my flight packs to the far rear to get it to balance. Or do I just use this plane to poke holes in the sky...blah-ick!? And find a suitable warbird for the 85? Or do I just break down and hide my head in shame from all my gorgeous redheads and buy a DA 70? The alternative would be bite the bullet and hack the firewall to splinters to fit a dub 70cs? Hell, I was going to have to hack it for the 85. Sooo, why not? I mean I love this plane. But I just can't do lethargic and lazy!

Do a little math hack the front off at the correct location so it will,balance and put that nice good looking 85 CS on the front and see if yoU can rip the tail off.. Do what is fun. I just pile drove a Edge 20cc into the ground a couple of days ago beautiful plane all good stuff but it was heavy and it was lethargic and not enough power bib not enjoy it did not like and the Way it flew. A little heavy and lots of power is fun. Heavy and no power is painful.

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp

View attachment 104798

View attachment 104799

Rob, whats that thing weigh with the DLE? My Pilot Edge weighs like 17.5 pounds and the GP61 throws it around like a toy. I haven't had a tach on mine in a long time so I don't remember what it turns the Falcon 24x9. It was flat hauling the mail today, the tune must have been just right for the weather. Starting it on the other hand............ that's a different story that includes lots of cuss words. :mad:

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Do a little math hack the front off at the correct location so it will,balance and put that nice good looking 85 CS on the front and see if yoU can rip the tail off.. Do what is fun. I just pile drove a Edge 20cc into the ground a couple of days ago beautiful plane all good stuff but it was heavy and it was lethargic and not enough power bib not enjoy it did not like and the Way it flew. A little heavy and lots of power is fun. Heavy and no power is painful.
No, we don't like heavy and no power. I am sorry about your Edge. Hey...I got an idea. Build another one. That always helps ease the blues. LOL

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Rob, whats that thing weigh with the DLE? My Pilot Edge weighs like 17.5 pounds and the GP61 throws it around like a toy. I haven't had a tach on mine in a long time so I don't remember what it turns the Falcon 24x9. It was flat hauling the mail today, the tune must have been just right for the weather. Starting it on the other hand............ that's a different story that includes lots of cuss words. :mad:
See, that's the thing about the GP's. They run "Grrrrrrreat" once they are started. But everyone I have talked to that owns one says they are a swearing-rage-smiley-emoticon.gif to start. I almost decided on one, but then I had been told they will "BITE" you and they are hard to start. So I steered clear. Any truth to that? It's kind of disheartening. I have seen those 61's run. Holy smokes Batman, insane power. My 176 Evo was ignorant to start. But it did have a :steamer: load of power.

So the 33% 95" SD Yak comes in right at about just shy of 21 pounds. I think it is a little on the fat side, but I do have an overkill setup in it. Two flight packs, extra weight from odds and ends and such. And being slightly bigger than a normal 50-60cc airframe, I can see the difference in build weight. My Pilot Edge was right at 16 1/4 pounds with the DLE 55, Falcon 23x8 and MTW 75 canister. She would peak out at 7250. Well, needless to say at that weight and that rpm that plane was scary. Ridiculous power and insane agility. Funny thing though after my previous post. The fourth and final flight today on the Baby Yak was actually pretty good. I got her down to the runway three times and I may have been just like mm's from touching the rudder. Pull out was much better than it had been. I went back to the 24x9 and it did seem to be better than all the previous flights. I am a little perplexed right now. Is it possible that by running the 23x8 and getting the rpm's up for a solid 10-12 minutes that it helped seat the ring? The 61 is brand new and has now a total of 8 flights on it. I am pretty sure it is tuned right. Or at least close. After sitting for 15 or so minutes after flying... I can walk over and with no choke flip the prop one time and it is just purring away. I dunno...weird really.

I guess, I could be patient (Yeah, right) and let the DLE 61 break in before I condemn her to being sectioned and cast to the four winds. Ah but then, I can't put a badass 3w decal on the Baby Yak-ster.:laughing:

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
See, that's the thing about the GP's. They run "Grrrrrrreat" once they are started. But everyone I have talked to that owns one says they are a View attachment 104800 to start. I almost decided on one, but then I had been told they will "BITE" you and they are hard to start. So I steered clear. Any truth to that? It's kind of disheartening. I have seen those 61's run. Holy smokes Batman, insane power. My 176 Evo was ignorant to start. But it did have a :steamer: load of power.

So the 33% 95" SD Yak comes in right at about just shy of 21 pounds. I think it is a little on the fat side, but I do have an overkill setup in it. Two flight packs, extra weight from odds and ends and such. And being slightly bigger than a normal 50-60cc airframe, I can see the difference in build weight. My Pilot Edge was right at 16 1/4 pounds with the DLE 55, Falcon 23x8 and MTW 75 canister. She would peak out at 7250. Well, needless to say at that weight and that rpm that plane was scary. Ridiculous power and insane agility. Funny thing though after my previous post. The fourth and final flight today on the Baby Yak was actually pretty good. I got her down to the runway three times and I may have been just like mm's from touching the rudder. Pull out was much better than it had been. I went back to the 24x9 and it did seem to be better than all the previous flights. I am a little perplexed right now. Is it possible that by running the 23x8 and getting the rpm's up for a solid 10-12 minutes that it helped seat the ring? The 61 is brand new and has now a total of 8 flights on it. I am pretty sure it is tuned right. Or at least close. After sitting for 15 or so minutes after flying... I can walk over and with no choke flip the prop one time and it is just purring away. I dunno...weird really.

I guess, I could be patient (Yeah, right) and let the DLE 61 break in before I condemn her to being sectioned and cast to the four winds. Ah but then, I can't put a badass 3w decal on the Baby Yak-ster.:laughing:
I'd sure like to know how my Pilot Edge got so heavy. When it had the DA50 in it with a KS65 canister it weighed 17 1/4 pounds. Your not the only one that told me their's weighed in the 16's.

I set the timing on mine back so it wouldn't kick back and eat me.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
See, that's the thing about the GP's. They run "Grrrrrrreat" once they are started. But everyone I have talked to that owns one says they are a View attachment 104800 to start. I almost decided on one, but then I had been told they will "BITE" you and they are hard to start. So I steered clear. Any truth to that? It's kind of disheartening. I have seen those 61's run. Holy smokes Batman, insane power. My 176 Evo was ignorant to start. But it did have a :steamer: load of power.

So before you start making big changes put the plane on a strict diet and see how much you get out of it but do mean do things you have never done before. See what you can get down to as a challenge, then fly it. Then make a decision one way or another. But I mean like wheel pants, pilot heads, extra batteries anything that does help it to fly. (Make it ugly).