• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Discussion The I’m going out flying thread 2018

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
I just can't seem to catch a break . Glad this is the last official day of summer. Hopefully Autumn will bring plenty of great flying weather.

SUCKS..... 0903181336-00.jpg

acerc

640cc Uber Pimp
Beautiful morning today, went to the field and although I could get no one to shoot some video I did the maiden of the Laser anyway. It took to the skies like it had been there many times, very little trim was needed but there was enough of a slight cross breeze to say it may need some later. Landing was a cake walk, came around, lined it up, and it descended like a charm with some mild throttle blipping. If this tropical system passes through the night I will head back out tomorrow.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Beautiful morning today, went to the field and although I could get no one to shoot some video I did the maiden of the Laser anyway. It took to the skies like it had been there many times, very little trim was needed but there was enough of a slight cross breeze to say it may need some later. Landing was a cake walk, came around, lined it up, and it descended like a charm with some mild throttle blipping. If this tropical system passes through the night I will head back out tomorrow.
That's awesome! Good for you. Way to go!

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
My flying buddy Tony and I went flying two days in a row! The weather was less than awesome, but it didn't keep us from enjoying ourselves. He flew his big 200cc Sukhoi and I flew the Hangar 9 Extra 300X. We both got two in yesterday before the wind got so bad it was trying to blow the corrugated metal roofing off the big barn behind the flight line and we were in fear for our airplanes and trucks, and a bit for our lives.;) Not to mention it was 90 something and 70% humidity.

Today was about the same with just a little less wind. We both flew three times and I let Tony take the sticks on mine for awhile since he's never flown the 300x. It's funny, he does better point rolls than I do with my Extra, and I do better ones than him with his Sukhoi.

One kind of odd thing, even though the temperature and humidity yesterday and today were very similar, and both airplanes sound like they're running great wide open, there was a noticeable difference in vertical performance with both airplanes from yesterday to today. Yesterday they both seemed a bit sluggish in the vertical. Today they pulled hard like normal.

I practiced my rolling harriers up high today because of the wind, and they are finally getting a little better. I even did some inverted harriers that I've always been too much of a coward to try before.

Baby steps.:lol2:

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
It's funny, he does better point rolls than I do with my Extra, and I do better ones than him with his Sukhoi.
Sounds to me as if you two should make a swap.
double-thumbs-up-smiley-emoticon.gif
I just love big planes that do anything you ask them to do. I did a little precision flying today. Not much 3d hucking. But a little. I love bringing the big yak in on a high alpha harrier right over the runway. Then pulling into a hover at about 20 feet then backing down in a hover until the rudder is just about to touch the runway. Then of course when the big girl is inches from my nose, mash the gas and rocket up she goes. Blowing my hat, sunglasses and everything else not nail down off into yonder fields. Lol. Really good air here really helps with those awesome tailslides from 50 feet so easy to do. Nothing runs like a "dub"!. Yeah baby. But you're right Doug. I didn't learn this overnight. Six long years of multitudes of baby steps. Wow...lol

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
CC559672-4DCE-451E-A69D-B0EAF62F587C.png
Finally took the Turbo Bushmaster out on floats. Went through 5 6S batteries. Floats make the plane tail heavy. Batts went as far forward as I could let them. Not sure if anyone else flies this setup, but I may have to put some weight in the bows.
I didn’t do much 3D with it since it was very pitch sensitive. Pop tops were sloppy, crankshafts were ridiculous (awesome), and that silly elevator spin thingy everyone talks about is amplified with floats (or aft CG).
What was fun is there was a bunch of tourists kayaking, I could hear them saying “that is so cool!!” While I was flying circles doing touch and goes... so I had to... flip the switch and let the beast out of its cage. What fun that is! Nice to have an auidiance to dazzle!

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Today was to be maiden day for the Python if everything went well. Good news was the engine ran well. Bad news was something in the electrical system affected the control surfaces. Both the left lower aileron and the right elevator were jittery. And no, it was not the joker moving the sticks! I’ll troubleshoot the receiver between now and next weekend, then try again. Sky was incredible so I had to take a few photos before packing up and heading back home.

View attachment 105407 View attachment 105408 View attachment 105409
You did the right thing it will still be there tomorrow in one piece.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Good to see the maiden went well and uneventful. How is power feel with the plane. Must sound good. But I must say it did not happen with out at least some pictures.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Ok for us it was a little different. We always try to fly Monday Labor Day weekend. But it was blowing 20 mph in the early morning minimum and growing as the day went a long from the weather forecast. A lot of the guys were canceling and saying it was to windy. So two of us said we got to get all these bums out to the field. We emailed everyone to comes out to the field and whom ever fly’s get free hotdogs, and you must come out to the field with a plane. Well most of the guys showed up. Man was it windy but the rule was every time you flew you got a hotdog. Well let’s just say it was a success rc guys will do anything for free food. By time lunch time came around the wind was up to 30mph but we were all still flying we were also very lucky it was straight down the runway and a very steady wind.