• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Discussion The I’m going out flying thread 2018

acerc

640cc Uber Pimp
I'd say that's a "Best Buy" . The "alternative" for a "swing wing" Free Wing F-14 would require a second mortgage o_O.

Now that I got the "hang" of these speed demons I'm really looking forward to the phantom.

I was actually on the flight deck when the RIO of plane 202 snapped this picture late 1981 on my last Med Cruise with USS Forrestal. VF-74 was celebrating 20 years of squadron service with the F4J Phantom II. We where also fixing to get ready for a "steel beach" picnic for "160 consecutive days" of operations at sea. Yep! we had BEER at sea :cheers:. It was only 3.2 % but still got a buzz :big-grin:.
The F4 is a gorgeous plane, I would have one from Motion RC if it were not for such short flight times.

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
The F4 is a gorgeous plane, I would have one from Motion RC if it were not for such short flight times.

Yea the 6S or 8S version only gets you 5-6 minute flights but boy what a thrilling time it is :on_the_go:. Best part is that all the wiring and lights are pre installed and the electric retracts work flawless and look real. I am so glad I got the Avanti S to learn with. And the Aura 8 or any other popular flight control is a MUST imo. My Avanti is as smooth as silk at any speed and windy days.

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
Yea the 6S or 8S version only gets you 5-6 minute flights but boy what a thrilling time it is :on_the_go:. Best part is that all the wiring and lights are pre installed and the electric retracts work flawless and look real. I am so glad I got the Avanti S to learn with. And the Aura 8 or any other popular flight control is a MUST imo. My Avanti is as smooth as silk at any speed and windy days.

Three minutes and thirty seconds is all she wrote with my 6S 5000mah Mig21

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
Back in the ducted fan days my friend Tony and I were at the Superman Fan Fly in Metropolis Illinois which was a very popular event that all the big names showed up to. He had brought his new Bob Violett F-16 that we had unfortunately not been able to test fly before the event. Being young and ignorant he signed the paper saying it had flown before, so he could fly it. When coming in to land at the end of a knee knocking but good first flight, Bob Fiorenze had just landed what at that time was the first Black Playboy Bunny F-14 with swing wings and was taxiing back on the near side of the runway. I was spotting for Tony and Bob was just to my right and he said to me "I've got the right side, you've got the left. Tony came in and made a nice landing on the left side, but the things that went through my mind were like Tony's F-16 harpooned into that beautiful black F-14. :oblong: We still joke about it to this day.

This is a turbine powered one, but the ducted fan model was every bit as gorgeous.

P2011_03_13_15_07_28.JPG

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
Three minutes and thirty seconds is all she wrote with my 6S 5000mah Mig21

I got 5 min 11seconds first flight and 5 min 32 seconds second flight with lots of full throttle with the Avanti. 6S 5000 50C packs. I think the new metal 12 blade 80mm fan and 1850kv motor have a lot to do with it . Had 56% remaining on first pack 52% second pack.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Back in the ducted fan days my friend Tony and I were at the Superman Fan Fly in Metropolis Illinois which was a very popular event that all the big names showed up to. He had brought his new Bob Violett F-16 that we had unfortunately not been able to test fly before the event. Being young and ignorant he signed the paper saying it had flown before, so he could fly it. When coming in to land at the end of a knee knocking but good first flight, Bob Fiorenze had just landed what at that time was the first Black Playboy Bunny F-14 with swing wings and was taxiing back on the near side of the runway. I was spotting for Tony and Bob was just to my right and he said to me "I've got the right side, you've got the left. Tony came in and made a nice landing on the left side, but the things that went through my mind were like Tony's F-16 harpooned into that beautiful black F-14. :oblong: We still joke about it to this day.

This is a turbine powered one, but the ducted fan model was every bit as gorgeous.

View attachment 105319
praising-the-lord-smiley-emoticon.gif

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
I got 5 min 11seconds first flight and 5 min 32 seconds second flight with lots of full throttle with the Avanti. 6S 5000 50C packs. I think the new metal 12 blade 80mm fan and 1850kv motor have a lot to do with it . Had 56% remaining on first pack 52% second pack.
Those are some pretty amazing times, I can tell you no on at my club, and we have dozens of 80 to 90mm EDFs, is getting anywhere near that, even with the Avanti. My Mig has the 12 blade metal 80mm with an 1800 kv motor and it takes a 5000 6S down to 30 to 35% in 3 1/2 minutes.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
I just don't know if I could be content with a 5-6 minute flight. I suppose the need for speed would take over and that would be satisfying.
shocked-smiley-emoticon.gif

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
Those are some pretty amazing times, I can tell you no on at my club, and we have dozens of 80 to 90mm EDFs, is getting anywhere near that, even with the Avanti. My Mig has the 12 blade metal 80mm with an 1800 kv motor and it takes a 5000 6S down to 30 to 35% in 3 1/2 minutes.

I just don't know if I could be content with a 5-6 minute flight. I suppose the need for speed would take over and that would be satisfying.
View attachment 105390

From the time I flip the throttle up switch (timer is also on this switch), taxi out, take off run, in the air, land, taxi back and then flip the switch to shut off the fan and timer is how I record a flight. I have not recharged or touched the batteries since I last flew them. Here is the level of charge left after 5 min 11 sec and 5 min 32 sec respectively. I used WOT for two HS passes, 4 vert climbs and of course take off. I did a lot of cruising too at only part throttle.
Don't let the 3 broken vids Charley took (he got bored and said the suns glare was bothering him) miss lead you in to a short flight time. Sorry for the glare on the pics. Capacity reads 55% and 58% respectively. I got two cells reading a bit low on the second pack. Batteries have only two cycles each on them.

0901181004-00.jpg
0901181004-01.jpg
0901181005-00.jpg
0901181006-00.jpg

Last edited: