• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

The I'm going out flying thread 2016

thurmma

150cc
Went out for some therapy tonight and found out the liions in the Extra are toast. Lasted 5 flights before they were at 7 volts. They are 5200 Fromecos, 2 of them and a 2600 on the ignition. I was just happy to get some use out of them. The original owner had let them get dead and when I threw them on the charger I was surprised to see them come back to life. I have been using them for about 6 months, but never got more than 2 or 3 flights because of the temps, so never realized they were draining that fast. Every time I would charge them they would take around 1000 to 1200 mahs so nothing seemed unusual. I just happened to check them today because I had put 5 flights on them Sunday and found out they were at 7 volts so time to order batteries for the Extra.

thurmma

150cc
That's ok Rob. Just dream about flying, that will soothe the mind until it can actually happen :)

I did fly the 42 center today a couple times. Man that is such a sweet flying plane. I even hovered at about 15 feet a couple times! That is the lowest I have ever done that. It was cool seeing the plane up close :)

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
That's ok Rob. Just dream about flying, that will soothe the mind until it can actually happen :)

I did fly the 42 center today a couple times. Man that is such a sweet flying plane. I even hovered at about 15 feet a couple times! That is the lowest I have ever done that. It was cool seeing the plane up close :)
I hear ya. First time I had the 260 a foot off the deck, (last Friday) I was like, "holy moly this is cool!" Unfortunately we didn't get the shot of me walking directly under it as I advanced the throttle. Nothing like looking up at the rudder a couple of feet above you and feeling the prop blast in your face. What a rush!!! That therapy will keep me tied over till I can do it again.

Xpress

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Bit breezy at about 5mph constant, but that didn't stop me.
IMG_5088.jpg
IMG_5122.jpg

I think I need to order a Graphtech main gear for it... The aeroworks gear handles real funny.. They say they have them in stock.. hmm..

thurmma

150cc
@Xpress 5mph is breezy??? We were flying with 8-12 direct crosswinds last night for a while. Not as much fun as 5, but we still fly because this time of year we are just itching to get the sticks moving again :) It did die down about 30 minutes before sunset and made for some fun flying at the end :)

Xpress

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
@Xpress 5mph is breezy??? We were flying with 8-12 direct crosswinds last night for a while. Not as much fun as 5, but we still fly because this time of year we are just itching to get the sticks moving again :) It did die down about 30 minutes before sunset and made for some fun flying at the end :)

I fly ontop of an aircraft carrier with all kinds of terrain around. 5mph seems like nothing until you realize that one second it's blowing straight in and the next it's coming from the side, and all of 5 seconds later it's coming from the other side :eek:

Bluepilot2003

70cc twin V2
I fly ontop of an aircraft carrier with all kinds of terrain around. 5mph seems like nothing until you realize that one second it's blowing straight in and the next it's coming from the side, and all of 5 seconds later it's coming from the other side :eek:

?? Fly on top of an aircraft carrier with all kinds of terrain around? Please elaborate!

Xpress

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
?? Fly on top of an aircraft carrier with all kinds of terrain around? Please elaborate!

365 foot runway ontop of an old landfill. To the sides and behind us are hills sloped about 20* down, then there is a 200 ft hill directly in front of us about 200 feet out.

Oh and did I mention all of the methane gas pipelines we fly around?

CurrentRunwayLrg.png

See pics of hill and pipelines in previous post.