• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

The I'm going out flying thread 2016

Bluepilot2003

70cc twin V2
Good repurposing of a landfill! I can see how you can get some unpredictable winds. Looks like a fun place to fly. I don't know if I would call it an aircraft carrier though;)

Xpress

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Hey man that runway can be hairy to land some airplanes on! You should see some of these guys try to land. There's barely enough runway for them to stop.

Bluepilot2003

70cc twin V2
Sounds like some cables on the runway and hooks on the planes are in order then as well? Having some dudes around that have problems landing and stopping sounds familiar... we have problems with that at our field which is over 500 ft.

Xpress

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
All of the giants can seem to land in half our runway no problem. The slimers have the most issues, might be because of the higher wing loading.. :banana-dance:

3Dchief

70cc twin V2
At least they can hit the runway! Most of the pilots at our field can't, they hit the rough ground on the far side and either rip out their landing gear or cartwheel the plane. The other common sight is landing short, again on rough ground ripping out landing gears. It's entertaining, but frustrating that they continue to do it with plane after plane, never learning how to actually hit and use the runway.

3Dchief

70cc twin V2
Even if we had a 1000' x 300' runway, it wouldn't change anything. It's all about depth perception and technique. We have people landing downwind, so not much point in trying to give them pointers for alignment on the runway.