• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

The I'm going out flying thread 2016

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
I am just now getting a hover below 15 feet and that is about the real extent of my 'huckin'. I do like to fly the slow knife edge passes, but they are still above 20 feet off the deck. I do try from time to time the beginning parts of a rolling harrier, but chicken out when it gets a little squirrely :)
About the only low thing I do is a harrier. I feel pretty comfortable with the rudder 6' or more off the ground. Much lower than that the brain starts screaming, "Are you crazy!" I've also been known to do some fairly low wide open knife edge passes, but not low enough to really say it's all that low.

The one thing that is totally escaping me right now is hovering. I can come across the field in a harrier at a crawl and steer it where ever I want, but the minute I pull the nose the rest of the way up, I loose my mind.

Someday I'll get it, I don't fly enough to learn very fast, but I'm enjoying it, and that's the point.:yesss:

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
I do not consider Any ones planes JUNK.

Sorry, you must have mis-read......the guy's flying the smaller stuff, at my field, actually came to me and said that the larger stuff would probably be better than the junk they are flying. I would never say that to anyone and it would be nice if you would stop referring to "the other clubs" in your area and all their downfalls because that makes you 100% one of the peanut gallery. Knowing several people from all the other clubs in your area, I'll say that none of them even remotely think that way so please let it go or at least don't bring it up on this website. Thanks for your cooperation.

Fly what ya like, size, power, color, even BRAND ( God that opens can of worms) I don't care what it is. If your on the flight line smiling, having fun, dats what it's all about.
1000% :yesss:

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
@Jetpainter grab a foamy, get lots of hover practice, with no $$$butt pucker. I also learned a lot more about that left stick (rudder) playing with foamy.

Foamies are great practice. Also the 48" Edge and Extra from EF are excellent flying down low with less butt pucker trainers. I flew my little edge till it nearly fell apart and really helped my downlow game!

Just ordered one of these, not 3D, not giant scale but for $200 it looks like a hoot with flaps, retracts and everything: http://www.diamondhobby.com/rochobby-p51-strega-racing-high-speed-pnp-2249

3D-Joy

50cc
That P51 has to be alot of fun to fly.
As much as I love flying IMAC type maneuvers and also lots of 3D, I am also looking for something else at times. Night flying, Float flying, winter flying with skis, 1/10 monster truck, etc...

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
That P51 has to be alot of fun to fly.
As much as I love flying IMAC type maneuvers and also lots of 3D, I am also looking for something else at times. Night flying, Float flying, winter flying with skis, 1/10 monster truck, etc...

Agree, actually I'm building a P-47 now and just bought a Ziroli AT6 that I will pick up in a couple of weeks. Also never flown on floats before so I picked up a parkzone sport cub with floats. Really fun scale flying with flaps so far, can't wait to try out the floats.

flycanic

70cc twin V2
Sorry, you must have mis-read......the guy's flying the smaller stuff, at my field, actually came to me and said that the larger stuff would probably be better than the junk they are flying. I would never say that to anyone and it would be nice if you would stop referring to "the other clubs" in your area and all their downfalls because that makes you 100% one of the peanut gallery. Knowing several people from all the other clubs in your area, I'll say that none of them even remotely think that way so please let it go or at least don't bring it up on this website. Thanks for your cooperation.

1000% :yesss:
Well excuse me! I guess I did miss read your post. I wonder what lead them to believe the small stuff they fly is junk? I feel rather bad for that guy. Have a good day, I consider you 100% part of a peanut gallery also. So I guess we are on the same page

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
Well excuse me! I guess I did miss read your post. I wonder what lead them to believe the small stuff they fly is junk? I feel rather bad for that guy. Have a good day, I consider you 100% part of a peanut gallery also. So I guess we are on the same page

Wow, you just don't understand do you wild man? Please read the posts again, slowly and without the negative tone you are implicating. I do absolutely nothing at events, our club or anyone's club to make them feel that what they are flying or their skills are inferior to anyone else. If you actually read, there was nothing that led them to believe anything.

I will help anyone and do everything in my power to encourage, promote and educate people whether they are new the hobby, veterans of the hobby or just pondering getting into the hobby. To me there has not been much greater reward than teaching someone to tune their engine, trim their plane or even teach them to successfully take off and land. So, I feel sorry for your misunderstanding of who I am as a person and how I feel about what or how other people conduct their hobby.

Sorry everyone for being a distraction to this thread, but I needed to clarify my character.

Last edited:

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
Foamies are great practice. Also the 48" Edge and Extra from EF are excellent flying down low with less butt pucker trainers. I flew my little edge till it nearly fell apart and really helped my downlow game!

Just ordered one of these, not 3D, not giant scale but for $200 it looks like a hoot with flaps, retracts and everything: http://www.diamondhobby.com/rochobby-p51-strega-racing-high-speed-pnp-2249
The P-51 is pretty cool!

I've been considering getting one of the 55' Edge EPP/Ply/Carbon hybrids from Skywing. I friend at the club just maidened his the other day. I'll give him some time to wring his out and see if he likes it.

I have a Crack Pitts, but I've not flown it that much. If I'm going all the way to my field I'm taking a bigger plane. And in my little truck there is no more room. I'm going to start taking the Crack Pitts out when I fly my heli, wind permitting. Wind doesnt bother the heli much, but it plays hell with the foamie.