• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

The I'm going out flying thread 2016

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
reyn3545 said
I'm with you, Patroller.

Doing anything below 20 feet, other than landing, usually means I'm going to be building another plane soon... I'm actually doing that now after a mistake a few weeks ago.  
You ain't just whistlin' Dixie. I bought a new flight simulator just so I can hone my skills and get better at some of the things I actually trust myself doing. Oh yeah....on the flight sim. Ha!!! I am awesome. Draggin' wingtips on the grass the full length of the field just like Herve. Tail bumpin' just like Supatim. Smokin' up the air in an endless hover like Geno. But when it comes to takin' my big birds out to fly and do the same stuff? Hmmm.... it's like there is a short circuit between my brain and my radio. Maybe it's my radio, maybe it does not do all that really cool stuff. (Yeah, that's it. Gotta be my radio!) All I know is my planes are far more capable of some wild and insane **** than I am. I think I will just stay 97 mistakes high
nodding-yes-by-a-very-happy-smiley-emoticon.gif
....LOL 

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
stangflyer said
reyn3545 said
I'm with you, Patroller.

Doing anything below 20 feet, other than landing, usually means I'm going to be building another plane soon... I'm actually doing that now after a mistake a few weeks ago.  

You ain't just whistlin' Dixie. I bought a new flight simulator just so I can hone my skills and get better at some of the things I actually trust myself doing. Oh yeah....on the flight sim. Ha!!! I am awesome. Draggin' wingtips on the grass the full length of the field just like Herve. Tail bumpin' just like Supatim. Smokin' up the air in an endless hover like Geno. But when it comes to takin' my big birds out to fly and do the same stuff? Hmmm.... it's like there is a short circuit between my brain and my radio. Maybe it's my radio, maybe it does not do all that really cool stuff. (Yeah, that's it. Gotta be my radio!) All I know is my planes are far more capable of some wild and insane **** than I am. I think I will just stay 97 mistakes high
....LOL 
Don't feel like your the Lone Ranger. I have yet to translate much of my sim skill into real life flying. I can do a reasonable job flying around low in a harrier, but my hovering sucks bad. For some reason the minute I go from the harrier to a hover I totally forget how to fly.

The sim has done tons for my helicopter flying though, once I stopped letting my brain get in the way and just flew. Hovering nose in on my 8th flight. I've been very happy with how I'm progressing there, but my 3D airplane skills still suck.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Hee hee hee.....I'm still giggling. This darn Indian Summer weather we got goin' on is just too good to pass up. Took my Pilot Edge out this afternoon. I decided to become "ONE" with my plane. I actually impressed even myself. LOL.... Fairly decent head wind going on. Brought her down low to the deck...about a foot off the runway in a really nice full length (500 feet long) harrier..... I thought, "Hey, that was not too shabby". So I did it again. Only this time I pulled into a hover about a foot off the deck.
fist-pump-and-yes-smiley-emoticon.gif
 Ok, I guess I don't suck as bad as I thought. Still not even close to as good and as precise as others I have had the pleasure of watching...but maybe this simulator is coming in handy after all. Hang in there Jetpainter.... If I can do it....."YOU" can too. 

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
I went flying today, and for the first Sunday in years I didn't bring a gas airplane, we turned out to have a mini huckfest at the field. Normally there are only two or three of us but today gassers were everywhere. I still had a great time, though I felt a little left out. I did spend a lot of time hovering, but it was a helicopter not a airplane, oh well.

20141005_142300.jpg

pawnshopmike

Staff member
Jetpainter said
I went flying today, and for the first Sunday in years I didn't bring a gas airplane, we turned out to have a mini huckfest at the field. Normally there are only two or three of us but today gassers were everywhere. I still had a great time, though I felt a little left out. I did spend a lot of time hovering, but it was a helicopter not a airplane, oh well.

20141005_142300.jpg
Thanks awesome Doug. You had some great pilots there. Sorry I missed out on that one.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Another beautiful day here in the Boise Valley. Just couldn't let it go to waste. My son and I went out flying with a few friends. My son maidened his new Pilot Edge 540. This plane is so darn pretty. I almost wish I bought this scheme instead of my Crown Royal. 
IMG_0014.JPG

IMG_0009.JPG

Mikeq

150cc
I'm jealous stangflyer...you seem to get to fly every day...I pretty much get to fly on weekends only provided the weather is cooperative and last weekend the wind was gusting pretty good. Nice looking plane...I'm a Pilot fan and had a PAU Edge just not a Pilot Edge but I believe any plane Pilot makes is good..

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Mikeq said
I'm jealous stangflyer...you seem to get to fly every day...I pretty much get to fly on weekends only provided the weather is cooperative and last weekend the wind was gusting pretty good. Nice looking plane...I'm a Pilot fan and had a PAU Edge just not a Pilot Edge but I believe any plane Pilot makes is good..
Do-rag said
Nice looking plane. Always loved flying with my Dad.
Thanks...it is pretty for sure. The Pilot Edge flies like nothing I've had before. Crisp and clean.... Looking forward to a PAU in the spring though. Bet it will be a toss up of which one I fly the most. LOL...We didn't have too much in the way for wind today. Usually we have between 6 to 12 by the time we get to the field. Today however, dead calm. Pretty tough landing without wind when you're so accustomed to landing with it. LOL...oh well. Great day. My son and I have been Team Epley since we started flying together when he was like 9. He usually doesn't fly without me and I usually don't fly without him. Guess you could say he is like one of my best friends now that he is all grow'd up.

Mikeq

150cc
stangflyer said
My son and I have been Team Epley since we started flying together when he was like 9. He usually doesn't fly without me and I usually don't fly without him. Guess you could say he is like one of my best friends now that he is all grow'd up.

I have 3 sons all grown up and I cant get any of them interested in RC. I guess getting started too late in this hobby made the difference. I have friends that have been flying for decades and never could get their kids involved..go figure, if I had a chance as a kid to fly I would have been all over it no question...