• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

The I'm going out flying thread 2016

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
Seems like most of the FOGS at my field have served in the Armed Forces at one time or another. I have the utmost respect for their service to this Country and their contribution to the freedoms we enjoy today, BUT......weren't they fighting to keep this Country free from tyranny and laws, rules and taxes that would strangle our freedoms? THEN WHY DO THEY INSIST ON implementing these oppressive rules and run our clubs like the dictators they fought against?

Just more of my random thoughts and $.02

Regards,

Astro
My old club was a stones throw from Scott Air Force base. We had a lot of military guys cycle through over the years, and for the most part they were great. There was one guy though that was freshly retired, and club president when I joined. He did his best to run the club like it was a military organization We fought like cats and dogs for years. He even banned me and a friend from the clubs builders contest because we were "Professionals" But as the years past he mellowed and we actually somewhat became friends. The other one that sticks out in my mind was a Navy Captain. I don't know what you have to do wrong in the Navy to get stationed at an Air Force Base, but he was a total pain in the arse.

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
I like what @thurmma said. The majority of my "20" was during the "peace time" but thought I was going to "buy it" during the last few years of my service when the candle was lit in the Gulf. Never did see any thing different (other than the rockets launched at us where real). Because death and tragedy is somewhat common place just by being in the armed forces. Now I was just 18 (actually 17 when I swore my life away lol) when I made it to my first command (boot camp). There is a saying that my dad told me before I left that pretty much sums up "character" for the uniformed services (This includes civilian police and other public officials)....The "uniform does not make a man"..."The man makes the uniform"... True leadership is a coveted trait and many do not have it. Some do learn it and a few it comes naturally. So I will add that this pretty much holds true for the "civilian" world as well. Military is big business just like any other big business. Personality types are just that. Now I see one common name mentioned along with FOG...."Safety Officer". Who the hell wants to be the Safety Officer!? That's Sgt Buzzkills job! lol @Astrohog even though retired military farts can and dictate terms it is not just them. I see plenty people with jobs (civillians) that have authority make it in to a club officer position and make fun time a bum time.

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
The other one that sticks out in my mind was a Navy Captain. I don't know what you have to do wrong in the Navy to get stationed at an Air Force Base, but he was a total pain in the arse.

NAVY Captains do no wrong! lol FYI. Navy Liason officers are found at all branches, commands. Navy operates more aircraft than the Air Force. Marine air core included with the Navy air core.

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
I like what @thurmma said. The majority of my "20" was during the "peace time" but thought I was going to "buy it" during the last few years of my service when the candle was lit in the Gulf. Never did see any thing different (other than the rockets launched at us where real). Because death and tragedy is somewhat common place just by being in the armed forces. Now I was just 18 (actually 17 when I swore my life away lol) when I made it to my first command (boot camp). There is a saying that my dad told me before I left that pretty much sums up "character" for the uniformed services (This includes civilian police and other public officials)....The "uniform does not make a man"..."The man makes the uniform"... True leadership is a coveted trait and many do not have it. Some do learn it and a few it comes naturally. So I will add that this pretty much holds true for the "civilian" world as well. Military is big business just like any other big business. Personality types are just that. Now I see one common name mentioned along with FOG...."Safety Officer". Who the hell wants to be the Safety Officer!? That's Sgt Buzzkills job! lol @Astrohog even though retired military farts can and dictate terms it is not just them. I see plenty people with jobs (civillians) that have authority make it in to a club officer position and make fun time a bum time.
I was safety officer at my old club back in the 90's. I never got on anyone for minor issues. Mainly just for flying over the pits, or landing directly toward them across the runway, or taxiing around out of control. I was there to have fun, not to ruin everyone elses.

Yakman

70cc twin V2
My old club was a stones throw from Scott Air Force base. We had a lot of military guys cycle through over the years, and for the most part they were great. There was one guy though that was freshly retired, and club president when I joined. He did his best to run the club like it was a military organization We fought like cats and dogs for years. He even banned me and a friend from the clubs builders contest because we were "Professionals" But as the years past he mellowed and we actually somewhat became friends. The other one that sticks out in my mind was a Navy Captain. I don't know what you have to do wrong in the Navy to get stationed at an Air Force Base, but he was a total pain in the arse.
We have Ellsworth AF Base here and up to the middle 1980s we a bunch of B52 Bombers and KC and EC 135s. A few of those planes were manned by Navy pilots too. We also had 150 missle silos till early 1990s. Now we have B1 bombers.

yakken

100cc
So yesterday my brother showed me how to do poptops. I must have did 100 poptops trying to perfect them. When i pulled the canopy off i noticed my fuel tank had slid about 2 or 3 inches foward. I was flying my 40 cent extra so i was trying to take it a little easier than i would have with something smaller.lol