• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

The I'm going out flying thread 2016

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
Really do not need the left stick....Honest.....Come to think of it....Don't need the right stick either.
What I really need is to get off me butt and get my planes going so.....I can say......"I'm going out flying!":big-grin:

Now I want you all to know I had full rudder control on that take off!:rolleyes:
You know the one............ :black-eye:

Yakman

70cc twin V2
Or Mr wot has been helping another guy to fly. Other guy has a couple of foamies that he does ok with. He's been flying a glow 40 trainer, but having a hard time landing it. @flycanic steps in and starts helping this guy on procedures of slowing down and flaring the plane to land. Well he starts doing better and another day while we're out flying i hear Mr. wot telling other guy, you don't need to learn how to slow down and flare like that. just cut the throttle and point it at the runway.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Or Mr wot has been helping another guy to fly. Other guy has a couple of foamies that he does ok with. He's been flying a glow 40 trainer, but having a hard time landing it. @flycanic steps in and starts helping this guy on procedures of slowing down and flaring the plane to land. Well he starts doing better and another day while we're out flying i hear Mr. wot telling other guy, you don't need to learn how to slow down and flare like that. just cut the throttle and point it at the runway.
:laughing:Hopefully while he is pointing it as the runway with throttle chopped, he has plenty of altitude to get said plane to said runway.:lol2:

3Dchief

70cc twin V2
The 4 favorite landing techniques here are:
1. chop the throttle about 100 feet from the end of the runway and 200 feet up, dive and panic and pull vertical and tip stall about 50 feet short from 20 feet up.
2. panic and give it full down elevator until the prop breaks and it slows down or flips anytime you actually get over the runway
3. miss the runway completely and land in the stuff they call grass and rip the landing gear off, it will skid to a stop eventually.
4. just aim for the pit fence.....that will stop it!

All can be observed on any given day. Fun to watch and it keeps the local hobby stores in business, so I encourage all of these techniques! :banana-dance:

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
I think the most common approach mistake is the "down leg". New guy or FOG. Way to long and way to fast. They cant see it hear it or control it. No way for them to establish a glide slope and maintain a constant decent with throttle control. I call it "practice a dead stick" with the engine running over no mans land technique.