• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Cool The I'm going out flying thread 2017

rmyers

70cc twin V2
Warbirds over Pueblo yesterday. Pretty laid back day. I flew my Carbon-Z T-28.

IMG_20170902_121755_879.jpg

This is how warbirds guys fly. 5 guys on the flightline. 1 plane in the air. :laughing:

IMG_20170902_121804_164.jpg

Last edited:

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
I flew Miss Moana today and other than a few speed bumps getting it started, it was awesome. Since the last time I flew it I changed the stab tubes from aluminum to carbon fiber which took an ounce off the tail, and I changed the prop from a Falcon 23 x 8 to a Mejzlik 23 x 8 which weighs about an ounce more. I figure when you take the length of the tail into account it moved 4 ounces to the nose. The CG feels pretty good now. It's just to the nose heavy side of neutral. The airplane feels really good now.

I did have trouble getting it started this morning. I choked it, had to flip it about a dozen times before it popped on the choke. I turned the choke off and flipped and flipped and flipped, with no luck. I pulled the cowl off and pulled the plug and it was flooded pretty bad. I put a new plug in it and it started on the first flip. The last time I flew it, it was horribly rich, so today before I started I leaned the high a tad, and it seems to be really close now because it performed great. The old DA50 with a tuned pipe pulls that 24 pounds around really well. I was pretty surprised at how well it pulls in an upline. Way better than expected.

I did figure out it doesn't slow down well to land without at least a little head wind. My first landing was great since there was a slight wind blowing down the runway which slowed the plane nicely. The second landing the wind was dead and the airplane just sailed on past and I had to go around. It reminded me of landing a 9 pound Ballistic style pattern airplane from decades ago.

20170903_113527_resized.jpg

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
I flew Miss Moana today and other than a few speed bumps getting it started, it was awesome. Since the last time I flew it I changed the stab tubes from aluminum to carbon fiber which took an ounce off the tail, and I changed the prop from a Falcon 23 x 8 to a Mejzlik 23 x 8 which weighs about an ounce more. I figure when you take the length of the tail into account it moved 4 ounces to the nose. The CG feels pretty good now. It's just to the nose heavy side of neutral. The airplane feels really good now.

I did have trouble getting it started this morning. I choked it, had to flip it about a dozen times before it popped on the choke. I turned the choke off and flipped and flipped and flipped, with no luck. I pulled the cowl off and pulled the plug and it was flooded pretty bad. I put a new plug in it and it started on the first flip. The last time I flew it, it was horribly rich, so today before I started I leaned the high a tad, and it seems to be really close now because it performed great. The old DA50 with a tuned pipe pulls that 24 pounds around really well. I was pretty surprised at how well it pulls in an upline. Way better than expected.

I did figure out it doesn't slow down well to land without at least a little head wind. My first landing was great since there was a slight wind blowing down the runway which slowed the plane nicely. The second landing the wind was dead and the airplane just sailed on past and I had to go around. It reminded me of landing a 9 pound Ballistic style pattern airplane from decades ago.

View attachment 98721

I know exactly what you are talking about flew my 50cc pattern plane for the first time a week or so back and I could not land it it kept flying buy on the last try I just shut the engine off and still kept going had to make sharp turn at the end of the runway to prevent me going into the farmers field.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Went to the field yesterday had good time. Took the newly built Funtana 125 out to the field. Flew great did everything well but hanging on the propeller it is useless. Cannot get it to hold the position, if it falls off ever so small you punch the rudder and throttle and all it wants to do is fly of in a knife edge climbing hard,it just does not flip the tail back under the plane.
No sure what the problem is not enough power or something else or just the design of the plane. If someone has any suggestions please let me know what to do or it is going to be stripped and hang up until I have a solution,,thanks.

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
Went to the field yesterday had good time. Took the newly built Funtana 125 out to the field. Flew great did everything well but hanging on the propeller it is useless. Cannot get it to hold the position, if it falls off ever so small you punch the rudder and throttle and all it wants to do is fly of in a knife edge climbing hard,it just does not flip the tail back under the plane.
No sure what the problem is not enough power or something else or just the design of the plane. If someone has any suggestions please let me know what to do or it is going to be stripped and hang up until I have a solution,,thanks.

I have had three funtanas. The "45" size with a YS53.....Two "90"size with YS120FZ and 140FZ. They all hovered and 3D great. Sounds as if your prop choice may be the culprit. 17x8 worked really well for the two larger YS's. If you are using the RCGF26 try a 18x8 light beech-wood prop and get a good tune. Some how I have come to be the new owner of my buddies RCGF26 and 11 pound edge:D. Hovers great.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
I have had three funtanas. The "45" size with a YS53.....Two "90"size with YS120FZ and 140FZ. They all hovered and 3D great. Sounds as if your prop choice may be the culprit. 17x8 worked really well for the two larger YS's. If you are using the RCGF26 try a 18x8 light beech-wood prop and get a good tune. Some how I have come to be the new owner of my buddies RCGF26 and 11 pound edge:D. Hovers great.

It is the Funtana 125 with a YS120 without the big air box on the back. Flying it with a APC 17-6. Thanks for the help. Forgot the weight but will check it and post. If my memory serves me write it was 10 lbs 3oz.

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
It is the Funtana 125 with a YS120 without the big air box on the back. Flying it with a APC 17-6. Thanks for the help. Forgot the weight but will check it and post. If my memory serves me write it was 10 lbs 3oz.

If your 120 is anything other than the original F-120......(120AC, 120NC, 120SC, 120FZ ) Then a 17x8 APC will have no problems hovering 10lb 3oz. Won't be "foamy like" but will have positive control and authority. I also recommend at least 20% nitro. But 30% does give a noticeable boost in torque especially at throttle levels during hovering. Just don't run it lean or it detonates real bad.