• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Scale The Red Eagle rebooted

acerc

640cc Uber Pimp
Things cured up enough to get it on the stand and install the stringers and tailwheel ply. I think I'll go ahead and put the legs on it before moving it aside for the wings.

Attachments

• 25.JPG
    25.JPG
    440.9 KB · Views: 229

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Coming along nicely. I just have to ask from everything I have see so far just cannot see how this’s plane would weigh 40 lbs. what is the wingspan of the plane.

acerc

640cc Uber Pimp
Coming along nicely. I just have to ask from everything I have see so far just cannot see how this’s plane would weigh 40 lbs. what is the wingspan of the plane.
The wingspan is 96", and I was the reason for the excessive weight. This was my first "big" scale build and I went above and beyond in every respect. For example, they gave a ply tray for the rudder servo as seen in the previous pics as well as a seat for the ele servos as part of the tail assembly. They looked to cheap and inaccessible to me so I added a new shelf for each along with all the bracing being hardwood instead of balsa. I basically added a bunch of old school build techniques to a modern arf designed kit, of which I had not been doing. Not to mention all of the hand made accessories such as the slave rod, cabane, and so on was made out of brass. Everything I did to the old girl added lots of weight, this time I am doing my best to stick with the arf style and anything I add will be as light as possible. For example, the old slave rods were nice brass tubes with threading rods brazed into the ends, this one is getting carbon tubes with eye bolts JB welded into the carbon tube which is nearly 1/3rd the weight. My brass cabane is five times as heavy as the kitted one, I can modify the kitted one without adding any weight. The list is never ending, or feels like it.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
I would say about 8 years ago I build just like you were describing. And it has taken me a number years to learn to build light. My last project was not a very complicated 20cc profile plane. My goal was to build it at 7 lbs or less. I had completely rethink almost everything I use to do. Tough to teach and old dog new tricks.

acerc

640cc Uber Pimp
I would say about 8 years ago I build just like you were describing. And it has taken me a number years to learn to build light. My last project was not a very complicated 20cc profile plane. My goal was to build it at 7 lbs or less. I had completely rethink almost everything I use to do. Tough to teach and old dog new tricks.
The funny thing is it only takes removing the covering from one arf to see just how little these airframes need.
By the way, I am doing around the house stuff today and tomorrow. Should be back to the build Friday.