• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

The 'What did you do in your workshop tonight?' thread

BalsaDust

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Working on repairing the sbach65 profile that was giving to me. Basically only thing that was damaged was the joiner box on the left wing. Basically it's the wing tube socket cept no wing tube its a joiner block (you can see it in the last pic of the fuse). So I removed some covering and some sheeting so I could free everything up. Then mixed up some epoxy and clamped everything in as well as adding some extra tristock around things. Then I installed my dle20 while waiting on epoxy to dry.

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
Hey @Bartman ,

Just because I am being a total slacker with regards to showing progress on my Laser, doesn't mean you can hold out on us too . . . . . . .:spongebob:
i'm undecided, it's got a G62 with magneto ignition and a big chunk of lead for weight under the tailwheel spring....so I'm thinking if I"m really seriously in love here I should either convert the engine (which is like new) to electronic ignition or replace it with something similar that is going to be much lighter. Between the weight savings in the nose and removing the weight in the tail the thing should be so much better off....but don't want to spend any money at the moment to do this.....decisions, decisions

HRRC Flyer

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
I hear ya Bart,

I still cannot make up my mind what engine I am going to put in my Laser either. Since I am going to build my AMR Stick first, I REALLY want to put my twin on it since it is going to need the nose weight anyway. That will leave my Laser without an engine until I can figure something else out. Oh well, it'll all get worked out eventually.

pawnshopmike

Staff member
i'm undecided, it's got a G62 with magneto ignition and a big chunk of lead for weight under the tailwheel spring....so I'm thinking if I"m really seriously in love here I should either convert the engine (which is like new) to electronic ignition or replace it with something similar that is going to be much lighter. Between the weight savings in the nose and removing the weight in the tail the thing should be so much better off....but don't want to spend any money at the moment to do this.....decisions, decisions
The answer is sitting on your shelf Bart;) Slap that DA50 on there! Sell the G62 to help fund the project.:way_to_go:

yakken

100cc
Sweet, I'd appreciate that :)
Sweet, I'd appreciate that :)
2016-05-20 11.42.48.jpg
2016-05-20 11.43.04.jpg
2016-05-20 11.43.23.jpg

The top pic is of my 35% .if you run stock muffs you have to put that removable plate in to get the cowl off. The bottom pics are of my 37.5 yak i already had the prop off so took pics of it. Same as my 35% baffling except for the removable plate. They are made out of light ply shaped like a half moon angled back to the cylinders. Glued in with goop. Make them long and slide the cowl on and mark where you need to cut out for the engine. Keep doing that till the cowl goes all they way on without the baffling hitting anything.

Last edited:

thurmma

150cc
I had just enough time to fire up the ZDZ180 on the 330 last night before the rain set in. WOW is the only word that comes to mind right now. I have the Mejzlik 29x12EVO 3 blade on the front and on the second run, first run telemetry was still set for 2 blade :), it turned the prop at 5850! No tweaking on the needles at all, straight from when the factory ran the engine to test it. That is over 500 rpm more than the GP 176EVO that had already been tuned and was running great. Same RE3 exhaust and the headers are at 14", which is about 1/2" longer than optimum for the 180. I didn't want to go to short to start with and have it be real peaky. I am hoping for better weather tonight so I can work on the carb because it seemed like it was starving a little for fuel because it would surge after a few seconds at full throttle. Temps never got above 307, measured at the back of the cylinders, so I am not worried about any damage to the engine. Wondering about fuel line size though. I have the larger line from the tank to the engine but, I think the line in the tank is smaller in diameter and may be contributing to the surging. Also heard somewhere that with the larger twins, the felt clunk may restrict flow to the engine in the higher rpm range. Any input on that would be appreciated.